Kinetic Energy Loss of Colliding Billiard Balls

In summary: Regarding v1f= 1.34v2f, do not round off the intermediate results too much. At the end, you have to subtract the two energies. Your speed values are accurate only for the first decimal. The energies itself will be even less accurate. If they do not differ much, your end result would be quite inaccurate. The data are given with two significant digits, you need to give the result also with two significant digits, and should not introduce errors with the calculation. Do not round off too early!
SalsaOnMyTaco

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m = 1.9 kg moving with a speed of v0 = 20.1 m/s strikes an identical ball which was initially at rest. After the collision, the incoming ball (ball 1) goes off at q1 = 26° relative to its original direction and the struck ball (ball 2) moves off at q2 = 36° as shown in the diagram.

What magnitude of kinetic energy was lost (to sound, heat, etc.) in the collision?

Homework Equations

ΔKf-ΔKi

The Attempt at a Solution

The final velocity of the billiard balls came up to be ball 1= 13.29 m/s and ball 2= 9.92 m/s
so...ΔK= 1/2 m(13.292+9.922)-1/2m(20.12)
m=1.9

am i doing this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct to get the change of energy from the speeds. The velocity is not a number, but a vector. So you calculated the speeds of the balls as 13.29 m/s and 9.92 m/s. How did you get these values?

ehild

ehild said:
Your method is correct to get the change of energy from the speeds. The velocity is not a number, but a vector. So you calculated the speeds of the balls as 13.29 m/s and 9.92 m/s. How did you get these values?

ehild

v1f= 1.34v2f

20.1= v1f cos26°+v2f cos 36°
plug in v1f= 1.34v2f and solve for v2f then plug in the result for v2f in the first equation to get v1f

SalsaOnMyTaco said:
v1f= 1.34v2f

20.1= v1f cos26°+v2f cos 36°
plug in v1f= 1.34v2f and solve for v2f then plug in the result for v2f in the first equation to get v1f

To make your solution nice, you should write down the basic steps and the principle behind. From what law do your equations follow? (they are correct , but you should explain)

Regarding v1f= 1.34v2f, do not round off the intermediate results too much. At the end, you have to subtract the two energies. Your speed values are accurate only for the first decimal. The energies itself will be even less accurate. If they do not differ much, your end result would be quite inaccurate. The data are given with two significant digits, you need to give the result also with two significant digits, and should not introduce errors with the calculation. Do not round off too early!

ehild

The acclaimed, research-based four-step problem-solving
framework ISEE(Identify, Set Up, Execute, and Evaluate).

1. Identify.
a. Conservation of energy
b. Conservation of momentum.

ehild said:
To make your solution nice, you should write down the basic steps and the principle behind. From what law do your equations follow? (they are correct , but you should explain)

Regarding v1f= 1.34v2f, do not round off the intermediate results too much. At the end, you have to subtract the two energies. Your speed values are accurate only for the first decimal. The energies itself will be even less accurate. If they do not differ much, your end result would be quite inaccurate. The data are given with two significant digits, you need to give the result also with two significant digits, and should not introduce errors with the calculation. Do not round off too early!

ehild

P=mv therefore since the billiard balls go different directions, this is an elastic collision, so:

Pi=Pf m1v1i+m2v2i=m1v1f+m2v2f

So are you saying that i should re-do the problem (look for the velocities) except without rounding off to early, and plug in the new velocities into ΔK= 1/2m(v1f2+v2f2 - ΔKi

hm, okay I am getting new velocities and they also seem to be right when I type them in.
v1f=13.46
v2f=10.05

should i add them up to get the final kinetic energy?
1/2(1.9)(13.46^2+10.05^2) ?

pblackblackfff!. alright I finally got the answer. Thanks!

You helped to yourself I see...:smile:

ehild

1. What is kinetic energy loss?

Kinetic energy loss, also known as collisional energy loss, is the energy that is lost during a collision between two objects.

2. How is kinetic energy loss calculated?

Kinetic energy loss is calculated by finding the difference between the initial kinetic energy of the colliding objects and the final kinetic energy after the collision. This can be expressed as KE loss = KE initial - KE final.

3. What factors affect kinetic energy loss in colliding billiard balls?

The main factors that affect kinetic energy loss in colliding billiard balls are the materials and surfaces of the balls, the velocity and angle of the collision, and any external forces acting on the balls.

4. Why is it important to understand kinetic energy loss in collisions?

Understanding kinetic energy loss in collisions is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It helps in predicting the outcome of collisions and designing materials and structures that can minimize energy loss.

5. How can kinetic energy loss be reduced in colliding billiard balls?

Kinetic energy loss can be reduced in colliding billiard balls by using materials with high elasticity and smooth surfaces, reducing the velocity and angle of the collision, and minimizing external forces such as friction.