1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balsa Span designs

1. Apr 10, 2007 #1
    What do you think the most efficient designs are for a balsa wood span? I was considering an inverted triangle or arch substructure, but I am in the brainstorming process and need other options. In addition, I was considering an extra measure to support the span by buttressing the two cement blocks on either side.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2007 #2
    Try looking at some current bridge designs. I imagine that they are very efficient, as bridge building material is expensive!

4. Apr 11, 2007 #3
    Considering that the materials are limited to the balsa wood and glue, current bridge designs are not necessarily the most simple or efficient. Also note that while bridges are restricted by the purpose of carrying a dynamic load on a deck, the span does not have this hindrance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?