Band diagram, conductivity tensor

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining information from a band diagram regarding the directions of best and worst conductivity in a system. This can be done by analyzing the velocity of the electron in relation to the conductivity tensor and transforming it from reciprocal space to real space. The equations for this process are provided in the conversation.
Juanchotutata
Hello!

Does anyone have an idea of how can I obtain information from a band diagram about the directions along which the system conducts best and worst ?

Thank you in advanced! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean Fermi surfaces?

I mean, I have a E vs k space diagram like this one, for example,

graphene_bs_9x9_dft.png

(but imagine that I only have one line). I know that the velocity of the electron can be described as dE/dk. So that I can relate the different slopes of each part of my line with the velocity. At the same time, I know that the conductivity tensor depends on this velocity. Therefore, the higher the velocity the higher the conductivity. But now, how can I know the directions along which the system conducts best and worst (in the reciprocal space) and transform them to the real space?

(I hope I've explained myself well)

Attachments

• graphene_bs_9x9_dft.png
    graphene_bs_9x9_dft.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 740
Do you mean the resistivity along any direction? Something relevant would be :$$\mathbf{j}=\mathbf{\sigma}\cdot\mathbf{E}$$$$\mathbf{E}=\mathbf{\sigma}^{-1}\cdot\mathbf{j}=\rho\cdot\mathbf{j}$$$$\mathbf{j}_{\text{n}}=(-e)\int_{\text{occupied}}f(\epsilon_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k}))\frac{d\mathbf{k}}{4\pi^3}\mathbf{v}_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k})\to-ne\mathbf{v}_{\text{drift}}$$Are these thing what you're looking for?

1. What is a band diagram?

A band diagram is a graphical representation of the electronic energy levels within a material. It shows the energy levels of the electrons as they move through the material and how they are affected by external factors such as an electric field or impurities.

2. How is the band diagram related to a material's conductivity?

The band diagram provides information about the energy levels of electrons in a material, which is directly related to its conductivity. A material with a wider band gap (larger energy difference between the valence and conduction bands) will have lower conductivity because it requires more energy for electrons to move into the conduction band.

3. What is the conductivity tensor?

The conductivity tensor is a mathematical representation of the relationship between electric field and current density in a material. It takes into account the anisotropy (directional dependence) of a material's conductivity and is often used to describe the conductivity of crystalline materials.

4. How is the conductivity tensor different from the conductivity of a material?

The conductivity tensor represents the directional dependence of a material's conductivity, while the conductivity of a material is a scalar quantity that describes its overall ability to conduct electricity. The tensor provides more detailed information about how a material's conductivity varies in different directions.

5. How can the electronic band structure affect the conductivity tensor of a material?

The electronic band structure, which is described by the band diagram, directly influences the conductivity tensor of a material. Changes in the band structure, such as the introduction of impurities or external electric fields, can alter the conductivity tensor and thus affect the material's conductivity in different directions.