Band structure and fermi surface of copper

In summary, the speaker was searching for information on band structure and fermi surface of copper for a report on solid state physics. They were unable to find free sources and asked for help. A potential source was suggested, the book Introduction to solid state physics by Charles Kittel, which could be found in a university library or bookstore. Additionally, two free sources were shared by a speaker, which could be found by searching "introduction band structure" on Google. The speaker also mentioned looking specifically at bands for the fcc structure and for metals, as this relates to the properties of copper. The speaker recommended the book by Kittel as a good resource.
Casco
Hi

I've been searching on the web for this two topics, band structure and fermi surface, both of copper. I can't find any of them from a free source, I am doing just a report of my class of introduction to solid state and I just have found this two things in articles that must be bought.

If anyone can give a free source reference I would be very grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
The book Introduction to solid state physics by Charles Kittel has information about those two topics, you could search for it in your university library or any bookstore

http://www.matfys.lth.se/staff/Andreas.Wacker/Scripts/bandstructure_intro.pdf

http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/teaching/course-notes/documents/63/830-ch4a.pdf

Two introductions to band structure, entirely free (just googled "introduction band structure"). You might want to look specifically at bands for the fcc structure and for metals since this corresponds to the properties of copper (if I remember correctly).

Kittel is a great book by the way, I can recommend that.

1. What is band structure and fermi surface of copper?

Band structure refers to the distribution of allowed energy levels or bands for electrons in a solid material. Fermi surface, on the other hand, is a representation of the boundary between occupied and unoccupied energy levels in a material. In copper, the band structure and fermi surface are influenced by the arrangement of atoms and their electronic properties.

2. How does the band structure and fermi surface of copper affect its properties?

The band structure and fermi surface of copper play a crucial role in determining its electrical and thermal conductivity, as well as its mechanical and magnetic properties. These structures dictate how electrons behave in the material and how they interact with external forces or fields.

3. What is the relationship between the band structure and fermi surface of copper?

The band structure and fermi surface are intimately connected, as the fermi surface is a representation of the occupied bands in the material. In copper, the fermi surface is typically a complex shape due to the overlapping of multiple energy bands. The shape and size of the fermi surface can also vary with temperature and external conditions.

4. How is the band structure and fermi surface of copper studied?

Various experimental techniques, such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy and x-ray diffraction, can be used to study the band structure and fermi surface of copper. Theoretical models, such as density functional theory, can also be used to predict and analyze these structures.

5. What are some unique features of the band structure and fermi surface of copper?

Copper has a relatively simple band structure compared to other materials, with only one fermi surface. However, its fermi surface is highly anisotropic, meaning that its properties vary in different directions. Copper also has a partially filled d-band, which contributes to its excellent electrical and thermal conductivity.