Understanding Band Structure Diagrams

In summary, band structure diagrams represent the energy of an electron at a given k vector and can provide information about the properties of a material such as if it is a metal, semiconductor, or insulator. These diagrams are based on solving the Hamiltonian for the material and show the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian. By looking at the bands, one can determine if the material is a metal, semiconductor, or insulator by seeing if there are any crossings with the Fermi energy. The size of the band gap also plays a role in determining if it is a semiconductor or insulator. Other parameters such as group velocity and effective mass can also be obtained from the band structure. Understanding reciprocal space and crystal structure is important in interpreting these diagrams.
Philip Land
Hi!

I never really understood band structure diagrams. I think they represent the energy of an electron, with the given circumstances, at a k vector.

Are the electrons only allowed to be on the lines here? Or can they also be in areas enclosed under/between certain lines?

What are some interesting properties I could deduce by looking at a bandstructure? Such as if the material is a metal, semiconductor etc?

I have seen a bunch of these diagrams but this is still very fuzzy for me, grateful if someone could provide some basic clarity.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2019-02-15 kl. 11.11.06.png
    Skärmavbild 2019-02-15 kl. 11.11.06.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 627
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, have you studied reciprocal space in crystal structure? This includes crystal orientation, direction, Brillouin zone, etc...

Secondly, have you, for example, solved the free-electron (or semi-free electron) problem in metals, and arrived at the E vs. k relationship for such a case? In other words, have you seen a simple dispersion curve?

And finally, do you know what Fermi energy, Fermi level, Fermi surface are?

Zz.

Likes BvU
I think you should find a book about solid state physics and read it. Then you will get some answers of your questions.
Basically,band structure is a conventional way to show eigenvalues of the Hamilton about solid state matters. The progress to get the eigenvalues is like that you solve the Hamilton of Hydrogen atom in Quantum Mechanics, of course more complicated.

ZapperZ said:
First of all, have you studied reciprocal space in crystal structure? This includes crystal orientation, direction, Brillouin zone, etc...

Secondly, have you, for example, solved the free-electron (or semi-free electron) problem in metals, and arrived at the E vs. k relationship for such a case? In other words, have you seen a simple dispersion curve?

And finally, do you know what Fermi energy, Fermi level, Fermi surface are?

Zz.
Yes, I have derived the relation between E and K for free electrons in metals. I have also used Brillouin zones to draw 2-d Fermi-surfaces.

Although I just began with condensed matter, I think understanding the Bandstructure diagram would help me a great deal.

For example, here the say "The crystal behaves as a metal if one or more bands are partly filled. The crystal is a semiconductor or semimetal if one or two bands are slightly filled or slightly empty."

- Ok. This makes sense. But how does this translate into the Bandstructure? What does "filled" mean in the figure? Again, are the elections on the bands, or between bands?

By looking at the figure, how would I determine if its eg. a semi-metal/metal semiconductor etc? The background theory make some sense, the diagrams don't.

Philip Land said:
Yes, I have derived the relation between E and K for free electrons in metals. I have also used Brillouin zones to draw 2-d Fermi-surfaces.

Although I just began with condensed matter, I think understanding the Bandstructure diagram would help me a great deal.

For example, here the say "The crystal behaves as a metal if one or more bands are partly filled. The crystal is a semiconductor or semimetal if one or two bands are slightly filled or slightly empty."

- Ok. This makes sense. But how does this translate into the Bandstructure? What does "filled" mean in the figure? Again, are the elections on the bands, or between bands?

By looking at the figure, how would I determine if its eg. a semi-metal/metal semiconductor etc? The background theory make some sense, the diagrams don't.

Let's use the example you wrote.

Look at all the "spaghetti lines". If there is a band that crosses the Fermi energy, then it means that there is an electronic dispersion curve that is similar to what you saw when you solved for the free-electron gas. This is a metal! If you don't see anything crossing the Fermi energy, then it is not a metal.

A semiconductor or an insulator is simply a non-Fermi crossing band structure but of varying degree. Look at the highest peak in the valence band below the Fermi energy, and then look at the lowest dip in the conduction band above the Fermi energy. That separation is the band gap. The size of the band gap will dictate if it is a semiconductor or an insulator. If the bottom of the dip lines up with the top of the peak, then you have a direct band gap. If not, it is an indirect band gap.

Etc... etc. You get group velocity, effective mass, and other parameters as well from the band structure.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Let's use the example you wrote.

Look at all the "spaghetti lines". If there is a band that crosses the Fermi energy, then it means that there is an electronic dispersion curve that is similar to what you saw when you solved for the free-electron gas. This is a metal! If you don't see anything crossing the Fermi energy, then it is not a metal.

A semiconductor or an insulator is simply a non-Fermi crossing band structure but of varying degree. Look at the highest peak in the valence band below the Fermi energy, and then look at the lowest dip in the conduction band above the Fermi energy. That separation is the band gap. The size of the band gap will dictate if it is a semiconductor or an insulator. If the bottom of the dip lines up with the top of the peak, then you have a direct band gap. If not, it is an indirect band gap.

Etc... etc. You get group velocity, effective mass, and other parameters as well from the band structure.

Zz.
Thanks a lot for this!

What is a band structure diagram?

A band structure diagram is a graphical representation of the energy levels of electrons in a solid material. It shows the energy bands and band gaps that result from the periodic arrangement of atoms in a crystal lattice.

Why is understanding band structure diagrams important?

Understanding band structure diagrams is important because it helps us understand the electrical and optical properties of materials. It also helps us predict the behavior of electrons in different materials, which is crucial for developing new technologies and materials for various applications.

What do the horizontal and vertical axes represent in a band structure diagram?

The horizontal axis represents the momentum or wave vector of electrons, while the vertical axis represents the energy levels of electrons. This allows us to visualize the relationship between the energy and momentum of electrons in a material.

How do band structure diagrams differ for conductors, insulators, and semiconductors?

Band structure diagrams differ for conductors, insulators, and semiconductors because of the number and arrangement of energy bands and band gaps. Conductors have overlapping energy bands, insulators have large band gaps, and semiconductors have small band gaps that can be manipulated with external factors such as temperature or impurities.

What factors affect the band structure of a material?

The band structure of a material can be affected by various factors such as the type and arrangement of atoms in the crystal lattice, temperature, and external forces such as pressure or electric fields. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects can also alter the band structure of a material.