Barriers & Tunneling: Find No Reflection & Max. Reflection Thresholds

• Thread starter zbhest123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tunneling
In summary, the conversation is about finding the barrier thickness at which there is no reflection and the barrier thickness at which the reflection is a maximum. The equation for probability of transmission is given, and it is solved for L. However, the value of n is still unknown. It is mentioned that n can be any integer and the answer in the book is given in terms of L = 0.229 nm or any integer multiple thereof. The conversation also discusses a mistake in algebra and the correct use of the equation to find the barrier thickness.
zbhest123
1. Let 11.0-eV electrons approach a potential barrier of height 3.8 eV.
2. (a) For what barrier thickness is there no reflection? (b) For what barrier thickness is the reflection a maximum?
3. For part (a) I tried using kL=npi where k=sqrt(2m(E-V))/hbar, because this is where the Probability of transmission T=1.
The equation for probability of transmission is given by T=(1+V^2sin^2(kL)/(4E(E-V)))^-1. V is the potential barrier, 3.8 eV
I solved for L, getting: L=npi*hbar/sqrt(2m(E-V)), but I still don't know n. (n is an integer) And when ignoring n I get the wrong answer.
The answer I get is 7.623e-19.
The answer in the book is L=.229nm or any integer multiple thereof.
I have no idea what to do from here, I also multiplied the top and the bottom by c=3e8 due to electron mass m=.511e6 eV/c^2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zbhest123 said:
I solved for L, getting: L=npi*hbar/sqrt(2m(E-V)), but I still don't know n. (n is an integer) And when ignoring n I get the wrong answer.

n is just any integer, because if pi*hbar/sqrt(2m(E-V)) satisfies the equation sin(k1*L)=0, so do all of its integer multiples.

The answer I get is 7.623e-19.
The answer in the book is L=.229nm or any integer multiple thereof.
[/b]

Check over your algebra. Did you remember to convert E and V to joules?

Nevermind! I got it using the equation: T=(1+V^2sin^2(kL)/(4E(E-V)))^-1

Simplifying to sin^2(kL)=0

Originally I put it in my calculator to find arcsin(0) equal to 0. It was then pointed out to me that it can also equal pi. So I used Lk=pi, simplified to L=pi/k, which gave me a correct answer.

Thanks!

FAQ: Barriers & Tunneling: Find No Reflection & Max. Reflection Thresholds

1. What are barriers and tunneling?

Barriers and tunneling refer to the phenomenon where particles or waves encounter an obstacle and either pass through it or reflect off of it. This can occur in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. How do you find the no reflection threshold for barriers and tunneling?

The no reflection threshold is the energy level at which a particle or wave has enough energy to pass through the barrier without reflecting. This can be found by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system and determining the energy level at which the wave function goes to zero at the barrier.

3. What is the maximum reflection threshold?

The maximum reflection threshold is the energy level at which a particle or wave has the highest probability of reflecting off of the barrier. This can also be found by solving the Schrödinger equation and determining the energy level at which the wave function has the highest amplitude at the barrier.

4. How do barriers and tunneling affect electronic devices?

In electronic devices, barriers and tunneling can lead to the leakage of electrons through barriers, which can affect the performance and efficiency of the device. This phenomenon is utilized in tunnel diodes and quantum tunneling transistors.

5. Can barriers and tunneling be observed in everyday life?

Yes, barriers and tunneling can be observed in everyday life. For example, in quantum tunneling microscopes, electrons can tunnel through barriers and provide images at the atomic level. It is also responsible for the decay of radioactive particles and the tunneling of electrons in solar cells.