Base Case in Strong Induction Proofs

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining a base case in a problem involving creating postage amounts using given stamps. The book suggests that the base case should be 30 cents, but the person is confused as to why this number was chosen. The responder suggests using the concept of consecutive numbers and strong induction to prove that 28 is the minimum number that can be used as a base case.
velouria131
I am dealing with sets of problems that go as such: "How many n-cent postages can be formed from x and y cent stamps"

For instance, I am doing a problem where x and y are 4 and 11 respectively. I don't understand how to determine a base case. I know that I must proof P(k + 1) for all P(i). The answer in my book is that the base case is a postage equal to 30 cents, but I don't follow. Could someone explain how I would go about finding a base case? The book seems to set this bound after showing 4 and 11 cent combinations up to 28. However, I do not see why 30 was chosen as a lower bound. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry for the short reply, I'm running a slight fever, but i'll like to try to give you some advice since it's midday here and I've noticed no one else has tried to help you. I've encountered problems like this and if I do recall it was in Rosen's discrete mathematics. Anyway, the idea is what you need to find the number for which you can make every consecutive number appear. For example, the number cannot be 4, because you can't make 5, 6, 7 nor can it be 8 because you can't make 9 or 10. If you continue on this path, I think you'll find that 28 will be the least number you can have such that you can make 28 + k, where k is an natural number. To prove this, I also suspect you'll eventually need to show that 29, 30 also work, and proceed with the strong induction form. I hope that clears this up some.

1. What is a base case in a strong induction proof?

A base case in a strong induction proof is the initial condition that needs to be proven true. It serves as the starting point for the proof and is essential in establishing the validity of the induction step.

2. How is a base case different from a regular induction proof?

In a regular induction proof, the base case only involves proving the statement for the first value in the set. However, in a strong induction proof, the base case involves proving the statement for all values up to the initial value.

3. Why is a base case necessary in a strong induction proof?

A base case is necessary in a strong induction proof because it ensures that the statement holds true for all values in the set, not just the initial value. It serves as the foundation for the rest of the proof and is crucial in establishing the validity of the induction step.

4. Can the base case be skipped in a strong induction proof?

No, the base case cannot be skipped in a strong induction proof. If the base case is not proven, then the induction step cannot be applied to prove the statement for all other values in the set, making the proof invalid.

5. How do you choose the base case in a strong induction proof?

The base case in a strong induction proof should be the smallest or most basic value in the set. This ensures that the statement is true for all values in the set. It is also important to choose a value that is easy to prove, as it will serve as the starting point for the rest of the proof.