1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Base Design

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    Hey guys,

Im in the middle of a project and need help with the base for it. I have to develop a base for a rectangle 3 feet high by 2 feet wide by 6 inches deep. The front of the rectangle is 1 pound heavier than the back and will stand 2 feet off the ground.

The base must be able to make the rectangle stay in place while having a object weighing 5.5 ounces coming at a straight on downward angle at a velocity of up to 95 mph. Also I need another base to withstand a 6.8 ounce object coming from a straight on upward angle at 72 mph.

Could someone help me out with the most stable design for both scenarios?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 23, 2014 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Echo that. Why is the front heavier if it's a true rectangle? Different material? Or is the "front" actually a second rectangle built into the top of the first? I'm picturing something like a medieval siege tower, but that can't be right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook