Does Bat Weight or Swing Speed More Significantly Affect Ball Exit Speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of determining which bat to use for maximum ball exit speed. The individual has a 33" bat weighing 30oz with an average 84mph swing speed, and a 34" bat weighing 31oz with an average 81mph swing speed. The question is whether the 1oz difference in weight makes up for the loss of 3mph swing speed. The conversation also mentions the importance of moment of inertia in generating swing speed, and the presence of an MOI rating in Easton's new line of bats. The individual has conducted experiments with a sensor attached to both bats, but it is unclear what specific question is being asked.
coltman
Okay so I'm not sure if this post should go here but I would like some help figuring out a baseball related question. I have a 33" bat that is 30oz that I average 84mph swing speed at contact with the baseball. I tried swinging a 34" bat that is 31oz that I average 81mph swing speed at contact. Is there any way to determine which bat I should use to maximize ball exit speed off the bat?

Is the 1oz bat difference make up for the loss of 3mph swing speed at contact?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can look at which bat gives you more momentum to transfer to the ball.

Bystander said:
You can look at which bat gives you more momentum to transfer to the ball.

I've read that moment of inertia is an important factor in the swing speed I'm able to generate with a certain bat. Easton even has an MOI rating for their new line of bats. How would I figure out what gives me more momentum?

coltman said:
I've read that moment of inertia is an important factor in the swing speed
This may not be a question, so I'll comment: you do see which of the two bats is which, and which you're swinging faster?

Bystander said:
This may not be a question, so I'll comment: you do see which of the two bats is which, and which you're swinging faster?

Not sure I understand your question. I took 100 swings with each with a sensor attached to the bottom of the bats and got an average swing speed for both bats, if that's what you are asking.

1. What is the speed of a baseball when it is pitched?

The speed of a baseball when it is pitched can vary, but it is typically between 80-100 miles per hour. This can depend on factors such as the pitcher's strength and technique, as well as the type of pitch being thrown.

2. How does the spin of a pitched baseball affect its trajectory?

The spin of a baseball can greatly affect its trajectory. A baseball with backspin will tend to rise, while a baseball with topspin will tend to drop. This is due to the Magnus effect, which is the force that causes a spinning object to curve in the direction of its spin.

3. Why do some baseballs travel further than others when hit?

The distance a baseball travels when hit depends on many factors, such as the speed and angle of the bat, the density of the air, and the spin of the ball. Additionally, the construction and materials of the baseball can also play a role in its distance traveled when hit.

4. How does the air resistance affect the flight of a baseball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can greatly affect the flight of a baseball. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences a force of drag that opposes its motion. This can cause the ball to slow down and change direction, which can affect its trajectory.

5. What is the optimal launch angle for hitting a home run?

The optimal launch angle for hitting a home run can vary, but it is typically between 25-35 degrees. This angle allows for a good balance between distance and height, giving the ball enough power to clear the outfield fence while also avoiding a pop-up or a ground ball.