Is Basic Algebra I by Nathan Jacobson Suitable for Self-Study?

In summary, "Basic Algebra I" by Nathan Jacobson is an excellent book, praised for its logical clarity and completeness. It was out of print for years but has now returned to availability. Many students have successfully self-taught algebra from this book, including one who had no prior algebra background. The book is recommended for those who find other algebra texts too challenging or too formal.
Physics news on Phys.org
This is an excellent book, by a master who has shown the discipline to rewrite the material of basic senior/graduate algebra decades after his first attempt in a 3 volume work which was in a much more formal and axiomatic style. The writing style is more paragraph oriented than the step by step outline style some of us would find easier to read, but the logical clarity and completeness is unusual at this level. For years it was out of print, and happily has returned to availability.

My kid self-taught algebra from Jacobson's Basic Algebra I. He turned to it after he found Lang's Algebra too dense and Herstein's Topics in Algebra problems too challenging. He went through the first five chapters over the course of about a year and then moved on to BA II. He likes Jacobson quite a bit.

He had no real algebra background when he started, but had self-taught calculus from Apostol's Calculus I & II.

-IGU-

geez kapeez, we all want your kid as student.

Let me know your address. I'll mail him to you (or anybody else who needs a summer project). I sure don't have much idea of what to do with him. He's pretty much just hanging around the house studying math all by himself.

He'll probably continue with Basic Algebra II at least through chapter 6.

Related to Is Basic Algebra I by Nathan Jacobson Suitable for Self-Study?

1. What is Basic Algebra I by Nathan Jacobson?

Basic Algebra I by Nathan Jacobson is a textbook that covers the fundamentals of algebra, including topics such as equations, polynomials, and functions.

2. Who is Nathan Jacobson?

Nathan Jacobson was a mathematician and professor at Yale University, known for his contributions to the field of abstract algebra. He wrote several textbooks, including Basic Algebra I, which is widely used in undergraduate courses.

3. What topics are covered in Basic Algebra I?

Basic Algebra I covers topics such as operations with real numbers, solving equations and inequalities, properties of exponents and polynomials, and graphing linear and quadratic functions.

4. Is Basic Algebra I suitable for beginners?

Yes, Basic Algebra I is designed as an introductory course for students who are new to algebra. It starts with the basics and gradually builds on them, making it suitable for beginners.

5. Is Basic Algebra I a standalone textbook or is it part of a series?

Basic Algebra I is part of a series of textbooks written by Nathan Jacobson, which also includes Basic Algebra II and Basic Algebra III. However, Basic Algebra I can also be used as a standalone textbook for an introductory algebra course.