Proving n^2 + 3n^3 is Θ(n^3) for n >= 0

In summary, the problem is that the student is not sure what it means to do the proof and is not sure what the professor is trying to say. The professor has given a solution that is based on the fact that 4n^3 is a part of the solution.
benarceneaux
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
First off I'm studying for an exam tomorrow, this isn't homework. Also, I've already written the proof and verified I've gotten the correct answer. I'm here to ask some questions about the solution that I am not completely confident I understand.

Here's the problem:
Prove that n2 + 3n2 is Θ(n3)

Here's what I did:
  • 3n^3 + n^2 <= c * n^3
  • 3n^3 + n^3<= c * n^3
  • 4n^3 <= c * n^3
  • 4n^3 <= 4n^3
This is for big O(To get Θ I know that I also need to prove that the algorithm is Ω(n3)

My problem is that I'm not sure what it means to do this really. My professor first language clearly is not English. I actually went to his office hours today to get some help from him and he was very helpful one on one and I can come up with correct solutions for the proofs. However, his English is so poor that he is unable to convey the meaning behind what we're doing. Instead it's all broken English or pieces of sentences. I'm not making fun of him, he's very intelligent, it's just very difficult to understand what he's trying to say and no one in class asks him to clarify anything. I suppose because it's a room full of shy geeks : P

I'll post here the solution given by the professor from the home work. See, I know that 4n^3 is part of the correct solution. I know I also need to find Ω[g(n)] but I'll ask that question when I get to it lol. So hopefully someone can tell me WHY my answer is correct and how it is similar to what my professor has given as the correct answer.

Here's the answer from the professor:

We show that n^2 + 3n^3 is O(n^3) because for n >= 0,
n^2 + 3n^3 <= 4n^3
We can take c = 4, N = 0 to obtain our result.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's nothing more than a series of inequalities: we know that for ##n > 1##, ##n^2 < n^3##. So,
[tex]3n^3 + n^2 < 3n^3 + n^3 = 4 n^3[/tex]
So the complexity scales as the cube of ##n## - that's what the big O notation ##\mathcal{O}(n^3)## means.

But you will and should find that the largest power in the polynomial will be the one that determines the scaling complexity of the algorithm, which makes sense because all the lower powers of ##n## are much smaller. So in general, the complexity is governed by the highest power in the polynomial.

benarceneaux said:
Here's the problem:
Prove that n2 + 3n2 is Θ(n3)
Surely there's a typo here...

What is Basic Algorithm Analysis?

Basic Algorithm Analysis is a process used to evaluate the efficiency and performance of an algorithm. It involves analyzing the time and space complexity of an algorithm to determine how it will perform on different inputs.

Why is Basic Algorithm Analysis important?

Basic Algorithm Analysis is important because it allows us to compare different algorithms and choose the most efficient one for a particular problem. It also helps us understand the limitations and scalability of an algorithm.

What are the different types of Basic Algorithm Analysis?

The two main types of Basic Algorithm Analysis are time complexity analysis and space complexity analysis. Time complexity analysis measures how long an algorithm takes to run, while space complexity analysis measures how much memory an algorithm uses.

How is Basic Algorithm Analysis performed?

Basic Algorithm Analysis is performed by counting the number of operations performed by an algorithm and then expressing it in terms of the input size. This allows us to determine the time and space complexity of an algorithm.

What is the Big O notation in Basic Algorithm Analysis?

The Big O notation is a mathematical notation used to describe the time or space complexity of an algorithm. It represents the worst-case scenario for the algorithm and provides a standard way of comparing the efficiency of different algorithms.