Basic Angle Explanation for Statics

In summary: The angle between the normal and the vertical is called theta. It's mentioned a few times in the text, but it's never really explained. The title is "The Normal Line and Other Angles".
ekpm
My textbook introduces this angle concept really early on and I still don't understand it. It just shows that a normal to a line and some other random angle shown is the same. I don't see any transversal angles or anything. Where did they get the secondary line to form theta for the normal line?

Attachments

• angles.jpg
    angles.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 78
Physics news on Phys.org
I interpeted which is which as I draw on your sketch below. Does it make sense in the story of the textbook ? What is the title of the textbook ?

1677071394922.png

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
ekpm said:
My textbook introduces this angle concept really early on and I still don't understand it. It just shows that a normal to a line and some other random angle shown is the same. I don't see any transversal angles or anything. Where did they get the secondary line to form theta for the normal line?
Are you familiar with the geometrical theorem, "Two lines that have sides mutually perpendicular are equal"? Also, in this case, the figure on the right is the figure on the left rotated clockwise by 90°.

Likes Lnewqban
ekpm said:
That is a useful concept for studying friction, for which “normal forces” are important.
Those are forces that are oriented in a normal or perpendicular direction respect to the surface where friction is happening.

In the diagram posted by @anuttarasammyak in post #2, lines in red represent a horizontal and a vertical surface.
Lines in blue represent a normal force to each of those surfaces.

If any of those horizontal and vertical surfaces is rotated certain angle (for any reason), its normal force acting on it must rotate exactly the same angle in order to remain being considered a “normal force”.

Once more an example, where vectors help a lot. Take a Cartesian coordinate system such that
$$\vec{g}=-g \vec{e}_3.$$
Now introduce the new basis vector
$$\vec{e}_1'=\begin{pmatrix} \cos \alpha \\ 0 \\ \sin \alpha \end{pmatrix}$$
and the normal vector
$$\vec{e}_3'=\begin{pmatrix}-\sin \alpha \\ 0 \\ \cos \alpha \end{pmatrix}.$$
The plane is then described as the ##1'2##-plane. For a particle on the plane there's the gravitational force
$$\vec{F}_g=m \vec{g} =\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ -g \end{pmatrix}.$$
Its components in the new frame are
$$\vec{F}_g'=\begin{pmatrix} \vec{e}_1' \cdot \vec{F}_g \\ \vec{e}_2 \cdot \vec{F}_g \\ \vec{e}_3' \cdot \vec{F}_g \end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}-m g \sin \alpha \\ 0 \\ -m g \cos \alpha \end{pmatrix}.$$
Then there's a contact force from the surface acting normally to the surface such that it compensates the corresponding 3'-component of ##\vec{F}_g##, i.e.,
$$\vec{F}_{\text{N}}'=\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ mg \cos \alpha \end{pmatrix}.$$
The equation of motion thus reads
$$m \ddot{\vec{x}}'=\vec{F}_{g}' + \vec{F}_{\text{N}}'=\begin{pmatrix}-m g \sin \alpha \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}.$$

Use geometry to fill in the missing angles of the various triangles formed by the intersecting lines in terms of ##\theta##.

1677080953309.png

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
anuttarasammyak said:
I interpeted which is which as I draw on your sketch below. Does it make sense in the story of the textbook ? What is the title of the textbook ?

View attachment 322705
I actually interpreted the line as the blue one. The angle the line makes with respect to the horizontal is equal to the angle between the normal and the vertical, and vice versa.

Likes anuttarasammyak and erobz

1. What is a basic angle in statics?

A basic angle in statics is a measurement of the angle between two lines or surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is an important concept in statics as it helps determine the forces and moments acting on a structure.

2. How is a basic angle calculated?

A basic angle is typically calculated using trigonometry. The angle can be determined by using the lengths of the sides of the triangle formed by the two lines or surfaces in contact. The most common trigonometric functions used are sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. Why is understanding basic angles important in statics?

Understanding basic angles is crucial in statics because it helps engineers and scientists analyze and design structures that can withstand external forces and maintain equilibrium. It also allows for the calculation of forces and moments acting on the structure, which is essential for safety and stability.

4. What are some common applications of basic angles in statics?

Basic angles are used in a variety of applications in statics. Some common examples include determining the angle of inclination for a ramp or slope, calculating the angle of repose for a pile of materials, and analyzing the forces acting on a beam or truss structure.

5. How can I improve my understanding of basic angles in statics?

To improve your understanding of basic angles in statics, it is important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the different trigonometric functions and their applications. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or taking a course on statics can also greatly enhance your understanding of basic angles and their importance in statics.