Understanding Partial Derivatives of x^2 + y^2 < 1

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the partial derivatives of a function where x^2 + y^2 < 1. The solution is given as @f/@x = 2x = 0 and @f/@y = 2y + 1 = 0. The poster initially had a question about the solution, but later realized their error and no longer needed to delete the question.
emergentecon

Homework Statement

x^2 + y^2 < 1

Find the partial derivatives of the function.

Homework Equations

x^2 + y^2 < 1

The Attempt at a Solution

@f/@x = 2x = 0
@f/@y = 2y = 0

4. Their solution

@f/@x = 2x = 0
@f/@y = 2y + 1 = 0

5. My Problem

I don't see how / why they get 2y + 1 for the partial of y?

Physics news on Phys.org
Issue is resolved, there was an error in reading the text.
I cannot see how to delete the question though?

Questions about differentiation should be posted in the Calculus & Beyond section.

Just because a question has been answered it is not ordinarily deleted.

1. Given the elementary nature of the question, why is Calculus & Beyond Homework not the correct section?
2. It is not a function of deleting an answered question. I misunderstood something I was reading, and thereby posted an erroneous question.

emergentecon said:
1. Given the elementary nature of the question, why is Calculus & Beyond Homework not the correct section?
It IS the correct section. You initially posted it in the Precalculus section. I moved it.
emergentecon said:
2. It is not a function of deleting an answered question. I misunderstood something I was reading, and thereby posted an erroneous question.
You can post the corrected question here in this thread.

Ok . . . mea culpa for the section error.

Mark44 said:
It IS the correct section. You initially posted it in the Precalculus section. I moved it.

You can post the corrected question here in this thread.
Once I realized my error, I no longer had a problem with the question.
Hence wanting to delete it. But I see how it works, thank you.

1. What is the formula for calculating partial derivatives of x^2 + y^2 < 1?

The formula for calculating partial derivatives of x^2 + y^2 < 1 is as follows:

∂/∂x(x^2 + y^2) = 2x

∂/∂y(x^2 + y^2) = 2y

2. What is the purpose of calculating partial derivatives of x^2 + y^2 < 1?

The purpose of calculating partial derivatives of x^2 + y^2 < 1 is to find the rate of change of the function in the x and y directions. This can be useful in determining the direction in which the function is increasing or decreasing, as well as finding critical points and determining the shape of the function.

3. How is the partial derivative of x^2 + y^2 < 1 interpreted geometrically?

The partial derivative of x^2 + y^2 < 1 can be interpreted geometrically as the slope of the tangent line to the function at a specific point (x,y) on the graph. It represents how the function is changing in the x and y directions at that point.

4. Can partial derivatives of x^2 + y^2 < 1 be negative?

Yes, partial derivatives of x^2 + y^2 < 1 can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in that direction at a specific point on the graph.

5. Are there any real-world applications of calculating partial derivatives of x^2 + y^2 < 1?

Yes, calculating partial derivatives of x^2 + y^2 < 1 has many real-world applications, particularly in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, partial derivatives are used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of moving objects. In economics, they are used to analyze the relationships between variables in economic models.