Basic differential equation question

In summary, the conversation discussed solving the equation y' = (1-y^2)/(1-x^2), with initial condition y(0) = 3. After finding a solution of 3-y+x-3xy=0, there was uncertainty about its correctness. However, after checking with Wolfram Alpha, it was confirmed that the given answer of 8x^2+y^2=9 also satisfies the initial condition and the original equation.
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

Solve the equation:

y' = (1-y2)/ (1-x2) , y(0) = 3

Homework Equations

MSP508919ib28ff5a89i3a600001e42670hc185fa3i.gif
, log(x) is natural logarithm

The Attempt at a Solution

After solving, my final result was 3 -y+x-3xy =0, but the given answer is 8x2+y2=9.. can someone please kindly check the answer for me? I checked it several times but I still couldn't find anything wrong with my solution..

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked to see whether your solution satisfies the initial condition or the original ODE?

I tried it too and I got your answer. Then I checked Wolfram Alpha and it confirmed it.

Me too and confirm check if the 'given answer' satisfies the d.e. :wink:

(Useful habit too).

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates one or more unknown functions to their derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are typically used to model systems that change over time, while partial differential equations are used to model systems that vary in multiple dimensions.

3. How do you solve a basic differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. In general, the solution involves finding a function that satisfies the equation and any given initial conditions. Common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using known solutions to similar equations.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model a wide range of real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, fluid flow, and electrical circuits. They are also fundamental in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, biology, economics, and control theory.

5. What are the limitations of using differential equations?

While differential equations are powerful tools for modeling and understanding natural systems, they have their limitations. Some systems may be too complex to accurately represent with a differential equation, and finding exact solutions can be difficult or even impossible in some cases. Additionally, the assumptions and simplifications made in creating a differential equation may not always accurately reflect real-world conditions.