Help me solve differential equation please involving a fraction and a square root

gionole
Homework Statement
Help me solve differential equation
Relevant Equations
##\frac{\dot x}{\sqrt{y(1+\dot x^2)}} = \text{const}##
I'm trying to solve the following differential:

##\frac{\dot x}{\sqrt{y(1+\dot x^2)}} = \text{const}##

##\dot x## is the derivative with respect to ##y##.

How do I solve it so that I end up with ##x(y)## solution ? You can find this here, but there're 2 problems: 1) I don't understand what ##a## is and how author solves it 2) Author solves it as moving into ##\theta##, which I don't want. I prefer to know how I solve it to get ##x(y)##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##k## be the constant. If ##\dot x = \frac{dx}{dy}##, then try using algebra to solve for ##\frac{dx}{dy}##.

Likes Gordianus
@erobz

I ended up as well(thanks to you) with ##x = \int_{y_1}^{y_2} \frac{ydy}{\sqrt{2ay - y^2}}##. Now author moves to ##\theta##, but as I told you, I want to end up with ##x(y)## and not ##x(\theta)##. Thoughts ?

well, by using ##k##, we get ##\dot x = \sqrt{\frac{k^2y}{1-k^2y}}##.. Now, we say that ##x## is the integration of RHS, right ? but using integral calculator, I end up with huge answer. I guess, that's the downside of using ##x(y)## ? and how do I find ##k## ?

gionole said:
well, by using ##k##, we get ##\dot x = \sqrt{\frac{k^2y}{1-k^2y}}##.. Now, we say that ##x## is the integration of RHS, right ? but using integral calculator, I end up with huge answer. I guess, that's the downside of using ##x(y)## ? and how do I find ##k## ?
I got mixed up thinking ##y## was not under the root. But I'm getting something different than you.

$$ x' = k \sqrt{y\left( 1+ x'^2\right) } $$

Square both sides

$$ x'^2 = k^2 y\left( 1+ x'^2\right) $$

$$ x'^2 = \frac{k^2 y}{1-k^2y} $$

$$ x' = k \sqrt{ \frac{y}{1-k^2y}} $$

?

Never mind. I see we agree now.

• Love
Likes gionole
Thanks very much. It makes sense and I realized solving this in terms of ##x(y)## is super complicated. All good.

Likes erobz
##\theta## is just a dummy variable for the solution technique of the integral (trigonometric substitution). Whatever your end result is in terms of ##\theta## you would invert ##\theta(y)## via:

$$ \tan \theta = \frac{ky}{\sqrt{y - k^2 y^2 } }$$

to get ##x(y)##...it's going to be quite the mess I think!

EDIT: Looking at the form in the paper it wouldn't be terrible, but ##y## is going to be inside an ##\arctan## function as well as outside of it in the ##\sin\theta ## term of the solution.

Last edited:
Likes gionole
I'll sugguest assuame k as constant. Then take derivative of this like dx/dy.

1. Can you explain the general process for solving a differential equation involving a fraction and a square root?

Sure! The general process involves isolating the differential equation, separating variables if necessary, integrating both sides, and solving for the unknown variable. This may require using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities.

2. How do I handle fractions in a differential equation?

When dealing with fractions in a differential equation, you can multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator to eliminate the fraction. This will help simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

3. What steps should I take when encountering a square root in a differential equation?

When faced with a square root in a differential equation, you can square both sides of the equation to eliminate the square root. However, be cautious as this may introduce extraneous solutions that need to be verified.

4. Are there any specific strategies for solving differential equations involving both fractions and square roots?

Yes, one common strategy is to first simplify the equation by eliminating fractions and square roots. This may involve multiplying by the least common denominator or squaring both sides of the equation. Once simplified, you can then proceed with the standard techniques for solving differential equations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a differential equation with fractions and square roots?

Some common mistakes to avoid include neglecting to simplify the equation before solving, missing solutions by not considering all possible cases when dealing with square roots, and forgetting to verify solutions obtained after eliminating fractions and square roots. It's important to be thorough and methodical in your approach to ensure an accurate solution.