Basic Differential Equations Problem (I Have No Idea What I Am Doing)

In summary, the problem involves finding the length of a fish at different times t, given the growth rate equation dL/dt = k(34-L(t)) and an initial length of 2 at t = 0. The solution to part a involves separating variables and integrating to get ln(|L-34|) = -kt+C. For part b, k can be solved for using the given information of L(4) = 10. Part c asks for the length of the fish when t = 10, and part d asks for the asymptotic length of the fish as t approaches infinity.
chez_butt23

Homework Statement

Denote by L(t) the length of a fish at time t, and assume that the fish grows according to:
dL/dt = k(34-L(t)) with L(0) = 2

a) solve the above equation
b)Use your solution in part a to determine k under the assumption that L(4) = 10.
c) Find the length of the fish when t = 10
d)Find the asymptotic length of the fish; that is, find lim[itex]_{t-->∞}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I attempted to solve part a by changing the equation to (dL/k(34-L(t))) = dt. I then took the integral of both sides raised the resulting equation to e. My answer was e^(1/-34k)*(ln(Lx) - ln(L(0)). This does not seem right to me but I tried to continue with the rest of the problem.

For part b, I attempted to solve for k and plug in 10 for L(x) and 2 for L(0). I ended up with k= e^-34*(10-2) = 1.37x10^-14. Once again I do not think this is correct.

As I mentioned previously, I do not believe I have done any of this problem correctly. I am only in my second quarter of calculus and am struggling. We were introduced to differential equations just the other day and I really do not get how to solve them. Any help would bee greatly appreciated as I have no idea how to proceed. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you take the integral of both sides, you have an L(0) which I think is a bit premature. Typically when doing separation of variables it's easier to just do an indefinite integral of both sides (since you don't really know what the bounds of your definite integral are supposed to be). Also your answer involves Ls but no t's, and since you should be solving for L as a function of t what you have written is not a legitimate answer for part a.

When I do separation of variables I find it helps to keep the logarithm side as simple as possible. Re-write your equation as

[tex] \frac{ dL} {L-34} = -k dt [/tex]

Now when you integrate both sides you get
[tex] \ln( |L-34| ) =-kt+C[/tex]

This helps to minimize sign and constant errors when there are lots of constants flying around on the harder to integrate side. Can you solve the problem from here?

1. What is a basic differential equation?

A basic differential equation is an equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It describes the relationship between the function and its rate of change.

2. How do I solve a basic differential equation?

To solve a basic differential equation, you need to first identify the type of equation it is (e.g. first-order, second-order, etc.) and then use appropriate methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution to find the solution.

3. What are the applications of basic differential equations?

Basic differential equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model real-world phenomena and make predictions about their behavior.

4. What are the initial conditions in a basic differential equation?

The initial conditions in a basic differential equation refer to the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point in the domain. These conditions are necessary to find a unique solution to the equation.

5. Are there any software programs that can help me solve basic differential equations?

Yes, there are several software programs such as Mathematica, Maple, and MATLAB that have built-in functions for solving basic differential equations. These programs can also provide graphical representations of the solutions.