Basic Diode Analysis Homework: Qs on V Drop & Forward Voltage

In summary: What you are implicitly doing is picking a polarity for the voltage drop across the diode, which is fine.Note that the other way to write these equations is to write them in terms of the currents in the two branches, I and IR. Ohm's Law tells us that:V = IRSo we can also write:10 = I*R = IR + IRdwhere I is the current in the series branch and IRd is the current in the diode. We can write this as:10 = I(1 + Rd)where Rd is the dynamic resistance of the diode (which is related to its forward bias voltage). Note that Rd is in units of ohms, and I is in units
Tekneek

Homework Statement

First question,
In the picture attached (One diode and Resistor), when you are calculating V, is the V drop across the diode or the resistor?

Second Question,
In the second picture (circuit with current source) Why is the nodal analysis equation,
1A=V/100ohms + (V-0.7)/100ohms

Forward voltage drop = 0.7, V is voltage at the node in the middle.

The part I don't get is the (V-0.7)/100ohms, why are we taking the voltage across the diode then dividing by the resistor? Shouldn't it be voltage across both the diode and the resistor?

This forward voltage drop stuff is really confusing me..

Attachments

• circ1.JPG
    circ1.JPG
    2 KB · Views: 409
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
Tekneek said:

Homework Statement

First question,
In the picture attached (One diode and Resistor), when you are calculating V, is the V drop across the diode or the resistor?
Neither, really. It's the potential at the terminal with respect to the circuit's reference node. In this case the reference node is implied and not shown explicitly. Note that there are two voltage sources, +5 V and - 5 V, which are indicated. These have an implied common reference point. If you want you can sketch in the voltage sources and the common reference to make it clear:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68355&stc=1&d=1396742587.gif

Second Question,
In the second picture (circuit with current source) Why is the nodal analysis equation,
1A=V/100ohms + (V-0.7)/100ohms

Forward voltage drop = 0.7, V is voltage at the node in the middle.

The part I don't get is the (V-0.7)/100ohms, why are we taking the voltage across the diode then dividing by the resistor? Shouldn't it be voltage across both the diode and the resistor?

This forward voltage drop stuff is really confusing me..

For nodal analysis the idea is to treat a series branch as a whole and find the net potential difference across the resistive part and divide by that resistance to determine the current. The diode drop, if the diode is forward biased, can be treated as a voltages source of 0.7 V. That makes the voltage drop across the resistor V - 0.7.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 544
gneill said:
For nodal analysis the idea is to treat a series branch as a whole and find the net potential difference across the resistive part and divide by that resistance to determine the current. The diode drop, if the diode is forward biased, can be treated as a voltages source of 0.7 V. That makes the voltage drop across the resistor V - 0.7.

So the resistor does not have to be in the middle of potential difference you are trying to measure? and the equation really is V-0.7-0/100ohms ?

Tekneek said:
So the resistor does not have to be in the middle of potential difference you are trying to measure? and the equation really is V-0.7-0/100ohms ?

You can rearrange the order of the components in a series circuit (a branch) any way at all and won't change the result. After all, the potential changes are summed, and it doesn't matter in what order a sum is performed.

Yes, that really is the equation :smile:

gneill said:
You can rearrange the order of the components in a series circuit (a branch) any way at all and won't change the result. After all, the potential changes are summed, and it doesn't matter in what order a sum is performed.

Yes, that really is the equation :smile:
I never had this kind of problem before so this was confusing. So just to make sure, let's say for this circuit,

10s946b.jpg

The equation for current is I = (10-0.7-0)/(2.7Kohms), assuming the diode is 0.7volts forward biased.

Tekneek said:
I never had this kind of problem before so this was confusing. So just to make sure, let's say for this circuit,

10s946b.jpg

The equation for current is I = (10-0.7-0)/(2.7Kohms), assuming the diode is 0.7volts forward biased.

Yup!

Likes 1 person
thnx that clears it up :)

gneill said:
Yup!

Another question about the same circuit, what if the diode was reverse biased? I know the current will be zero since there won't be any flow of current, but what about voltage across the diode? Will it be 0.7 volts or zero too?

Tekneek said:
Another question about the same circuit, what if the diode was reverse biased? I know the current will be zero since there won't be any flow of current, but what about voltage across the diode? Will it be 0.7 volts or zero too?

A reverse biased diode is, essentially, equivalent to an open circuit (or at least a very, very, high resistance). As such, essentially all the available potential drop will occur across it. So for example, if in our diagram the diode's polarity was reversed, the full 10V would present across it.

gneill said:
A reverse biased diode is, essentially, equivalent to an open circuit (or at least a very, very, high resistance). As such, essentially all the available potential drop will occur across it. So for example, if in our diagram the diode's polarity was reversed, the full 10V would present across it.
So in terms of equations,
10-IR-Vd = 0
Vd = 10volts

or
since the polarity switched
10-IR+Vd = 0
Vd= -10

Tekneek said:
So in terms of equations,
10-IR-Vd = 0
Vd = 10volts

or
since the polarity switched
10-IR+Vd = 0
Vd= -10

Sure, if you choose Vd to be defined as the cathode to anode potential for the diode.

1. What is the purpose of a diode in a circuit?

A diode is an electronic component that allows current to flow in one direction while blocking it in the opposite direction. This property makes it useful in circuits where a unidirectional flow of current is required, such as in rectifiers and voltage regulators.

2. How is the voltage drop across a diode determined?

The voltage drop across a diode is determined by its forward voltage, which is a characteristic of the diode and varies depending on the type and material used. Typically, the forward voltage for a silicon diode is around 0.7V, while for a germanium diode it is around 0.3V.

3. What factors affect the forward voltage of a diode?

The main factors that affect the forward voltage of a diode are its material, temperature, and current. Different materials used in diodes have different forward voltage values, and as the temperature increases, so does the forward voltage. Additionally, the amount of current flowing through the diode can also affect its forward voltage.

4. How is the forward voltage of a diode measured?

The forward voltage of a diode can be measured using a multimeter in diode mode. In this mode, the multimeter applies a small current to the diode and measures the resulting voltage drop. The reading on the multimeter will give the approximate value of the diode's forward voltage.

5. Can a diode have a negative voltage drop?

No, a diode cannot have a negative voltage drop. This is because a diode is designed to allow current to flow in one direction only, and any attempt to reverse the current flow will result in the diode blocking the current completely. Therefore, the voltage drop across a diode can only be positive.