Basic limit involving absolute value

In summary: The parabola is negative between -1 and 1: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y%3Dx^2-1If x\leq -1, then x^2-1\geq 0. This is easily seen by drawing the parabola for x^2-1.Ok, I see what you are saying now, but when I graphed the parabola, I also saw that coming from the right-hand side, the values of x were also positive up until x=1.If x comes from the left, then x^2-1=0, and from the right, x^2-1=-1.
wvcaudill2

Homework Statement

lim as x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]-1 = [itex]\frac{|x^{2}-1|}{x^{2}+x}[/itex]

Homework Equations

N/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to write this as a piecewise function, but I got lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wvcaudill2! :smile:

Calculate the right-sided and the left-sided limits separately. That way, you could get rid of those nasty absolute value signs!

Ok, from the left-hand side of the limit, I got -2, and from the right-hand side I got 2, and when x-1=0 I got "does not exist." Is this right?

wvcaudill2 said:
Ok, from the left-hand side of the limit, I got -2, and from the right-hand side I got 2,

The correct solution should be those two switched. From the left side, you should get 2. From the right side, you should get -2. Check your signs.

and when x-1=0 I got "does not exist."

What in Earth do you mean with this??

I do not see how they should be switched. Can you explain your process in more detail?

wvcaudill2 said:
I do not see how they should be switched. Can you explain your process in more detail?

Well, show your work, and I'll show you what went wrong...

eqp1.jpg

You can't just eliminate the x+1 in your first line. Why not? Because it sits inside an absolute value sign. This will cause sign errors.

The absolute first thing you should do is eliminate the absolute value signs around [itex]x^2-1[/itex]. If x comes from the left, then this expression is positive, so you can drop the absolute valuie signs. If x comes from the right, then it is negative, so you'll have to write a minus sign in front.

Im still not sure how it is you are coming to the statement that "if x comes from the left, then this expression is positive." Can you explain how you are getting this?

Here is what I have now:
eqp2.jpg

wvcaudill2 said:
Im still not sure how it is you are coming to the statement that "if x comes from the left, then this expression is positive." Can you explain how you are getting this?

Here is what I have now:
eqp2.jpg

Well, if [itex]x\leq -1[/itex], then [itex]x^2-1\geq 0[/itex]. This is easily seen by drawing the parabola for [itex]x^2-1[/itex].

Ok, I see what you are saying now, but when I graphed the parabola, I also saw that coming from the right-hand side, the values of x were also positive up until x=1.

wvcaudill2 said:
Ok, I see what you are saying now, but when I graphed the parabola, I also saw that coming from the right-hand side, the values of x were also positive up until x=1.

The parabola is negative between -1 and 1: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y%3Dx^2-1

Im still not seeing the big picture here. Can you write out exactly what this problem should look like with all the steps at least partially worked out?

1. What is a basic limit involving absolute value?

A basic limit involving absolute value is a mathematical concept that involves determining the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a specific value, while also taking into account the distance from that value, or the absolute value.

2. How is the limit involving absolute value calculated?

To calculate a limit involving absolute value, you can use the definition of a limit, which states that the limit of a function at a specific value is equal to the value that the function approaches as the input approaches that value. This can be represented algebraically using the absolute value function.

3. What is the significance of absolute value in limit calculations?

The absolute value is important in limit calculations because it allows us to consider both positive and negative values as the input approaches a specific value, rather than just the distance from that value. This is necessary for certain functions, such as piecewise functions, where the behavior may differ on either side of the specific value.

4. Are there any special cases for limits involving absolute value?

Yes, there are a few special cases for limits involving absolute value. One example is the case where the absolute value is inside of a trigonometric function. In this case, the limit may not exist if the function oscillates rapidly as the input approaches the specific value.

5. How can limits involving absolute value be applied in real-world situations?

Limits involving absolute value can be applied in many real-world situations, such as calculating the maximum and minimum values for a given function, or determining the rate of change of a function at a specific point. They can also be used in economics and physics to model various scenarios and predict outcomes.