Understanding the Limit of a Rational Function at a Point

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the limit of the given function as x approaches 3 is non-existent due to the different values of the left and right hand limits. However, by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the expression, we can simplify the function and get a limit of 3/2. This method is simpler than using L'Hopital's rule.
danago
Gold Member
Evaluate [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 3} \frac{{\sqrt {x^2 - 5} - 2}}{{x - 3}}[/tex].

I started by trying direct substitution, which gave me a solution of an indeterminate form (0/0). I then used L'hopitals rule, and evaluated using derivatives:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 3} \frac{{\sqrt {x^2 - 5} - 2}}{{x - 3}} = \frac{0}{0} \\
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 3} \frac{{\sqrt {x^2 - 5} - 2}}{{x - 3}} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 3} \frac{x}{{\sqrt {x^2 - 5} }} = \frac{3}{2} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

I then went to check my answer by making a table on my calculator. From that, it seemed that my right hand limit was negative infinity, while my left hand limit was infinity. Since each side of the limit is different, the limit is non existent at x=3.

Which one of my solutions is correct (if any), and why is the other wrong? This has caused a bit of confusion.

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm nevermind. I checked again on my calculator, and it seems i entered my function incorrectly. My new, correct, function yields the answer i was looking for.

Thanks anyway :)

Far simpler than "L'Hopital" is to multiply both numerator and denominator of the fraction by [itex]\sqrt{x^2-5}+ 2[/itex].

I might be wrong

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 3} \frac{{\sqrt {x^2 - 5} - 2}}{{x - 3}}[/tex]

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 3} \frac{{\sqrt {(3)^2 - 5} - 2}}{{(3) - 3}}=\frac{0}{0}[/tex]

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 3} \frac{{\sqrt {x^2 - 5} - 2}}{{x - 3}}\times\frac{{\sqrt {x^2 - 5} + 2}}{{\sqrt {x^2 - 5} + 2}}[/tex]

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 3} \frac{{x^2 - 5 - 4}}{{(\sqrt {x^2 - 5}+2)(x-3)}}[/tex]

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 3} \frac{{(x-3)(x+3)}}{{(\sqrt {x^2 - 5}+2)(x-3)}}[/tex]

The (x-3)'s get crossed out.

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 3} \frac{{x+3}}{{\sqrt {x^2 - 5}+2}}[/tex]

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 3} \frac{{(3)+3}}{{\sqrt {(3)^2 - 5}+2}}[/tex]

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 3} \frac{{6}}{{4}}}=\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Raza, please do not solve the complete problem! Leave something for the original poster, whose homework this is, to do.

HallsofIvy said:
Raza, please do not solve the complete problem! Leave something for the original poster, whose homework this is, to do.

Sorry :( I won't do that again.

just wondering how in the 4th step from the bottom, it got factored into:
(x-3)(x+3), trying to buff math skills and missed that one completely.

Because [itex]x^2-5-4=x^2-9=x^2-3^2[/itex]. By the difference of two squares rule, [itex](a-b)(a+b)=a^2-b^2[/itex], we attain [itex]x^2-3^2=(x+3)(x-3)[/itex].

What is a basic limit question?

A basic limit question is a mathematical question that involves finding the limit of a function as its input approaches a certain value or as its output approaches a certain value. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to analyze the behavior of functions.

How do I solve a basic limit question?

To solve a basic limit question, you can use various techniques such as direct substitution, factoring, rationalization, and L'Hospital's rule. First, evaluate the function at the given value and see if it is defined. If it is not defined, try simplifying the expression or applying one of the techniques mentioned above.

What are the common types of basic limit questions?

Some common types of basic limit questions include limits at a point, infinite limits, limits at infinity, and limits involving trigonometric functions. Each type requires a different approach and technique to solve.

Why are basic limit questions important?

Basic limit questions are important because they help us understand the behavior of functions and their rates of change. They are also used in many real-world applications, such as calculating velocities, finding maximum and minimum values, and determining the continuity of a function.

Can I use a graphing calculator to solve basic limit questions?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator to solve basic limit questions. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind solving limits so that you can verify the results and interpret the answer correctly. Also, not all limit questions can be solved using a graphing calculator, so it is important to know when and how to use it effectively.