1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Mechanics Question!

1. May 20, 2009 #1
    My exam is in an hour, so quick replies are dearly needed!

http://www.ph.qmul.ac.uk/phy116/Exams/Mid%20Term%20Test%202006%20Answers.pdf [Broken]
    Question 3)a

I would have said the force exerted by the RAMP on the MASS is mgcos30, not mg as my lecturer has said (and it's the same in every paper).

What am I not seeing here? The only thing I can think of is due to the axis of where F is.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

The block is not moving, thus a = 0. Also, gravity pulls down on the block with a force equal to mg. If you accept these two facts, balance the forces in the vertical direction and see what you get.

4. May 21, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just saw this post, too late for the exam, but I have a comment that may help.

mg cos30 is the normal force exerted by the ramp on the block. But the question is really asking for the total force F exerted by the ramp, which includes the friction and normal forces.

As diazona said, F must balance against the downward, vertical force mg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook