Vector & Scalar: A Detailed Overview

In summary, a vector has direction, while a scalar does not. It is that simple. Google can be a great resource for questions about vectors and scalars.
talibji786
Can u describe VECTOR and SCALAR in detail with example

Physics news on Phys.org
A vector has direction, a scalar does not. It's that simple.

And by the way, for really simple questions like this, Google is a great resource. Try Googling "what is a vector" and "what is a scalar".

Actually I am the students of arts but I love science and on google i face difficulty in asking question

talibji786 said:
Actually I am the students of arts but I love science and on google i face difficulty in asking question
OK, I can certainly understand that if you are not sure of the scientific term you want, it can be hard, but when you want to know what a vector is, how hard is it to type "what is a vector"?

hmmm u r ryt

talibji786 said:
hmmm u r ryt
Good.

And just for your future reference, "text-speak" is strongly discouraged here. We type everything out even though it can seem like a pain when you are used to text-speak.

in simple 'Artistic' ways, Everything in life has an amount/magnitude, a bag of sand of 50kg is an example of an amount. however not everything in life has a direction. The 50kg sand bag does not have a direction where it could potentially go, that's non existent. However a push or a pull for example have a direction, you cannot have a push with just the magnitude you have to say what you are pushing towards, in certain quantities of life direction is as important as the amount. We call these scalar (no direction) and Vector (with direction).

thnx 2 much bernard

What is direction of vector. Define direction of vector

vector - quantities with direction i.e + or - or many directions. For example, velocity (rate and direction of travel ), acceleration (rate and speeding up or slowing down)
scalar - quantities without direction. For example, length, temperature, where direction does not make sense to those measures.

Thank u all

1. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude. In other words, a vector describes both how much and in what direction something is moving, while a scalar only describes how much.

2. How are vectors and scalars represented mathematically?

Vectors are typically represented using an arrow or a bold letter, while scalars are represented using regular letters. In mathematical equations, vectors are denoted by placing an arrow above the variable, such as →a, while scalars do not have any special notation.

3. What are some real-life examples of vectors and scalars?

Some examples of vectors include velocity, force, and displacement, as they all have both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time, as they only have magnitude and no direction.

4. How are vectors and scalars used in physics?

Vectors and scalars are used extensively in physics to describe the motion and behavior of objects. Vectors are used to calculate forces, velocities, and accelerations, while scalars are used to calculate quantities like energy, temperature, and mass.

5. Can a vector be converted into a scalar or vice versa?

No, a vector cannot be converted into a scalar or vice versa, as they represent fundamentally different types of quantities. However, it is possible to break down a vector into its scalar components, such as breaking down a velocity vector into its speed and direction components.