What is the work done by the ground in stopping the pile?

• Thread starter bolei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, The conversation is about solving a question regarding momentum and work done by ground resistance. The question involves a pile driver and a vertical pile, with the pile being driven into the ground by the impact. The initial velocity of the pile and the work done by ground resistance are being discussed, with suggestions for finding the acceleration and force in order to solve for the work done by the ground.
bolei
hi guys, i got a question about momentum, shouldn't be hard but I am not quite sure how to solve, please help me~~

A pile driver of mass 600kg moving vertically downwards with a speed of 20m/s strikes the top of a vertical pile of mass 6000kg without rebounding. the pile is driven 12cm into the ground by the blow.Calculate(i)the initial velocity of the pile, assuming conservation of momentum during the initial impact;(ii)the work done by ground resistance in stopping the pile.

actually I've already got the answer for(i), if not wrong,it's momentum = 12000J and initial-v = 1.82m/s,the question is how to do (ii)~

cheers guys

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the acceleration, how about :
[tex]v_{f}^2=v_{o}^2+2a(x_{f}-x_{o})[/tex]?

The momentum for the most part is right(it should be 11946J) as well as the velocity.

Last edited:
yeah, but how about the question(ii)?

In order to find the work done by the ground you must find the force that the ground exerts on the pile. So if you solve for a then you can get F=(6600kg)a. So it exert a force of F on the ground, then the ground must be exerting a force of -F on the pile(Newtons third law).
You now have the force and can use:

[tex] W=\int F ds[/tex] this simplfies to [tex]W=F\Delta x[/tex] since the force is constant

Last edited:

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for calculating momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

How is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum before and after an interaction or event will be the same.

What is the difference between momentum and inertia?

Inertia is an object's resistance to change in motion, while momentum is a measure of an object's motion. In other words, inertia is a property of an object, while momentum is a calculated value.

What are some real-life examples of momentum?

Some real-life examples of momentum include a moving car, a ball being thrown, and a person running. In each of these cases, the object has both mass and velocity, resulting in momentum.