1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic sequence related question

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is the problem as deployed in the exercise book:
    The point is to say if the sequence converges or diverges
    an= { (-1)^n*(n+1/n) }

2. Relevant equations

Bluntly enough: what's the key to finding the result?

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried applying l'Hopital's rule but got lost into oblivion. I tried finding a smaller and bigger sequences (sandwich propriety), couldnt acheive it...

The answer guide says the sequence diverges. Why, and how do you get there?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2
    Do you mean [tex] (-1)^n * (\frac{n+1}{n}) [/tex] or [tex] (-1)^\frac{n(n+1)}n}[/tex]
  4. Jan 14, 2009 #3
    The first one is the correct sequence. Thanks for cleaning it up :) (sorry, noob alert :/)
  5. Jan 14, 2009 #4
    Double post, see below
  6. Jan 14, 2009 #5
    For even n we have [tex]a_n = 1*\frac{n+1}{n} = \frac{n+1}{n}[/tex]. For odd n we have [tex]a_n = -1*\frac{n+1}{n} = \frac{-(n+1)}{n}[/tex].

Remember that a sequence converges if and only if there is a positive integer N such that when integers n,m > N, we have [tex] |a_n - a_m| < \epsilon [/tex] for all epsilon greater than 0.

That should help you out :).
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  7. Jan 14, 2009 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If your sequence is ((-1)^n)*((n+1)/n) then that's ((-1)^n)*(1+1/n). The limit of the second factor is 1. So for large n your sequence looks like +1,-1,+1,-1,... Is that convergent?
  8. Jan 15, 2009 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Divide both numerator and denominator by n:
    [tex](-1)^n\frac{1+\frac{1}{n}}{1}= (-1)^n\left(1+ \frac{1}{n}\right)[/tex]
    If this were just
    [tex]\left(1+ \frac{1}{n}\right)[/tex]
    then it should be easy to see what the limit is as n goes to infinity. But with the [itex](-1)^n[/itex] think about the subsequences for n even or odd.
  9. Jan 15, 2009 #8
    Well, that's much more simpler that way! I havent done calculus in 3 years so I kinda lost my intuition. Ugh! Thank you very much people!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?