Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Basic Unit Vector Help.

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Vector B has x- and y-components 2 and 6, respectively. Compute the component of B that is parallel to A.

A is 3i+4j

2. Relevant equations

The basic S(A)=B is all I know.

3. The attempt at a solution

No clue. Was absent yesterday. (Which is why I need help, lol.)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2
    what do you know about i-hat and j-hat .let me give you example from your question A is 3i + 4j .so which means 3 unit to the right and 4 unit up which actualy mean X- and Y- components .so according to this figure out what is 2 and 6 .....Read your text book for more information

4. Oct 7, 2008 #3
    I don't think you understood the question I asked. I know that the axis are represented as I J & K, and that the equation is basically the coordinates for a point. I can find the magnitude, angle, and components to a basic vector or a resultant; I don't understand how to calculate a parallel vector between an existing vector and a component of a second.

Edit: A simple equation or example would help greatly, I just don't understand how you could apply S(A)=B to binomials that aren't multiples.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook