Find Parallel Component of Vector B to Vector A | Basic Unit Vector Help

In summary, vector B has x- and y-components of 2 and 6, respectively. To compute the component of B that is parallel to A, you need to understand the concept of i-hat and j-hat. In the equation A = 3i + 4j, 3 represents the number of units to the right and 4 represents the number of units up, which are the x- and y-components. To find the parallel component of B, you can use the formula S(A) = B. However, this may be challenging if the binomials are not multiples. It is recommended to refer to your textbook for further information and examples.
RWirth91

Homework Statement

Vector B has x- and y-components 2 and 6, respectively. Compute the component of B that is parallel to A.

A is 3i+4j

Homework Equations

The basic S(A)=B is all I know.

The Attempt at a Solution

No clue. Was absent yesterday. (Which is why I need help, lol.)

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you know about i-hat and j-hat .let me give you example from your question A is 3i + 4j .so which means 3 unit to the right and 4 unit up which actualy mean X- and Y- components .so according to this figure out what is 2 and 6 ...Read your textbook for more information

I don't think you understood the question I asked. I know that the axis are represented as I J & K, and that the equation is basically the coordinates for a point. I can find the magnitude, angle, and components to a basic vector or a resultant; I don't understand how to calculate a parallel vector between an existing vector and a component of a second.

Edit: A simple equation or example would help greatly, I just don't understand how you could apply S(A)=B to binomials that aren't multiples.

Last edited:

1. What is a basic unit vector?

A basic unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and is used to represent the direction of a vector in a specific coordinate system.

2. How is a basic unit vector represented?

A basic unit vector is typically represented as a letter with a hat, such as i or j, to indicate its direction.

3. What is the difference between a basic unit vector and a normal vector?

A basic unit vector has a magnitude of 1, while a normal vector can have any magnitude and is used to represent the perpendicular direction of a vector.

4. How do you find the basic unit vector of a given vector?

To find the basic unit vector of a given vector, you divide each component of the vector by its magnitude. This will result in a vector with a magnitude of 1 and the same direction as the original vector.

5. Why are basic unit vectors important in vector calculations?

Basic unit vectors are important in vector calculations because they allow us to easily represent and manipulate the direction of a vector. They also help simplify calculations involving vectors with different magnitudes.