How Do You Determine the Basicity of Nitrogen Heterocycles?

In summary, the compounds (C) pyrrolidone and (B) diphenylamine have the lowest basicity due to the presence of a carbonyl group and two acidic phenyl rings, respectively. The aliphatic amine (A) piperidine has the highest basicity, while (D) pyridine falls in between. Additionally, the sp2 hybrid nitrogen atom in pyrrole weakens its basicity. The link provided offers more information on factors that affect amine basicity.
baldbrain

Homework Statement

Select the correct order of basicity of the following compounds:
IMG_20180630_184900.JPG

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, (i) is more basic than (iv) because of the 2 acidic phenyl rings in (iv). Also, I know that amides are much less basic than amines. So, that leaves me with either (B) or (C). Further, due to the sp2 hybrid N atom in pyrrole, it is weakly basic.
But how do I decide it's basicity relative to the rest?
Also, though it's clear from (B) & (C) that (iii) will be less basic than both (i) & (iv), how do I decide that the phenyl rings in (iv) won't decrease the basicity to such an extent that (iii) will get more basic?

Attachments

• IMG_20180630_184900.JPG
    IMG_20180630_184900.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 1,940
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a good introduction to amine basicity:
https://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/2017/04/26/5-factors-that-affect-basicity-of-amines/
baldbrain said:
(i) is more basic than (iv) because of the 2 acidic phenyl rings in (iv). Also, I know that amides are much less basic than amines. So, that leaves me with either (B) or (C)
Yes, yes, yes.
baldbrain said:
Further, due to the sp2 hybrid N atom in pyrrole, it is weakly basic.
None of these molecules are pyrrole. There's piperidine (i), pyridine (ii), pyrrolidone (iii), and diphenylamine (iv).
baldbrain said:
Also, though it's clear from (B) & (C) that (iii) will be less basic than both (i) & (iv), how do I decide that the phenyl rings in (iv) won't decrease the basicity to such an extent that (iii) will get more basic?
The carbonyl group is a really good pi acceptor (and also a half-decent proton acceptor), so in general amides really really don't want to be protonated.

TeethWhitener said:
None of these molecules are pyrrole.
Sorry! Confused pyridine for pyrrole.

Ok, so from the link, the answer would be (C)

Likes TeethWhitener
baldbrain said:
Ok, so from the link, the answer would be (C)
Yes, the big giveaway (or shortcut, now that I'm looking closely at the possible answers) is that piperidine (the aliphatic amine) will be a much stronger base than the rest of them.

TeethWhitener said:
Yes, the big giveaway (or shortcut, now that I'm looking closely at the possible answers) is that piperidine (the aliphatic amine) will be a much stronger base than the rest of them.
Right:wink:

1. What is the basicity of nitrogen heterocycles?

The basicity of nitrogen heterocycles refers to the ability of these compounds to act as a base in a chemical reaction. This is determined by the presence of a lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen atom, which can easily accept a proton from an acid. The basicity of a nitrogen heterocycle can vary depending on its structure and the surrounding chemical environment.

2. What factors affect the basicity of nitrogen heterocycles?

The basicity of nitrogen heterocycles can be affected by several factors, including the electronegativity of the substituents attached to the nitrogen atom, the size of the heterocyclic ring, and the presence of other functional groups. Additionally, the solvent used in the reaction can also impact the basicity of these compounds.

3. How is the basicity of nitrogen heterocycles measured?

The basicity of nitrogen heterocycles can be measured using several methods, including pKa values, Hammett acidity function, and Hückel molecular orbital calculations. These measurements can provide quantitative data on the basicity of a specific nitrogen heterocycle and its relative strength as a base compared to other compounds.

4. Can the basicity of nitrogen heterocycles be modified?

Yes, the basicity of nitrogen heterocycles can be modified by introducing different substituents or functional groups on the nitrogen atom or the heterocyclic ring. These modifications can alter the electron density on the nitrogen atom and affect its ability to accept a proton, thereby changing the basicity of the compound.

5. What are some common applications of nitrogen heterocycles with high basicity?

Nitrogen heterocycles with high basicity have many important applications in various fields, including pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and materials science. For example, pyridine and pyrrole are commonly used in drug synthesis, while imidazole and benzimidazole are used as corrosion inhibitors. Additionally, nitrogen heterocycles with high basicity are also used as chelating agents in coordination chemistry.