Finding Basis & Spanning Set for Matrix: a,b,c,d

In summary, you are trying to find a subspace of all 2x2 matrices such that both entries in the second column are equal.
Offlinedoctor
I'm having trouble finding the spanning set and basis for the matrix;

| a b |
| c d | with condition that b=d

I'm thinking thinking the spanning set would be
A= x
B = y
C = z

Such that x,y,z are all reals, but I can't think of how to find a basis for this, I'm thinking of doing row echolon form but am thinking of how to set parameters.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Offlinedoctor! :smile:
Offlinedoctor said:
I'm thinking thinking the spanning set would be
A= x
B = y
C = z

Such that x,y,z are all reals …

I don't understand this at all. :redface:

The members of the spanning set will all be matrices.

Try again. :smile:

Are you looking for a basis for the subspace of all 2x2 matrices such that both entries in the second column are equal ?

Or are you only dealing with a single particular matrix in which case saying "basis for the matrix" would make no sense. Generally when we refer to a basis with regards to a single matrix we are referring to a basis for its column space, row space, or null spaces, of the columns and rows. In the context of linear algebra a basis is a minimal spanning set for a vector space.

Add some more detail to statement of the problem.

I think I answered this before- on a different forum (and for a different poster user name).

I suspect you are asking for a subspace of all 2 by 2 matrices of the form
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
such that b= d.

Such a matrix looks like
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & b \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}+ \begin{bmatrix}0 & b \\ 0 & b \end{bmatrix}+ \begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 \\ c & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]= a\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}+ b\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}+ c\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
If that does not answer your question, you need to talk to your instructor.

1. What is a basis for a matrix?

A basis for a matrix is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to span the entire space of the matrix. This means that any vector in the matrix can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. How do you find the basis for a matrix?

To find the basis for a matrix, you need to first row-reduce the matrix to its reduced row-echelon form. Then, the columns that contain leading 1's are the basis vectors for the matrix.

3. What is a spanning set for a matrix?

A spanning set for a matrix is a set of vectors that can be used to create any vector in the matrix through linear combinations. It is not necessary for the vectors to be linearly independent, unlike a basis.

4. How do you find the spanning set for a matrix?

To find the spanning set for a matrix, you can use the row-reduced matrix from finding the basis. The columns that contain leading 1's as well as any columns with free variables are the spanning set for the matrix.

5. Why is finding the basis and spanning set important?

Finding the basis and spanning set for a matrix is important because it helps us understand the structure of the matrix and the vectors within it. It also allows us to easily perform operations on the matrix, such as finding the inverse or solving systems of equations.