1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis for a Matrix

1. Jun 1, 2013 #1
    I'm having trouble finding the spanning set and basis for the matrix;

| a b |
    | c d | with condition that b=d

I'm thinking thinking the spanning set would be
    A= x
    B = y
    C = z

Such that x,y,z are all reals, but I can't think of how to find a basis for this, I'm thinking of doing row echolon form but am thinking of how to set parameters.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Offlinedoctor! :smile:
    I don't understand this at all. :redface:

The members of the spanning set will all be matrices.

Try again. :smile:

4. Jun 2, 2013 #3
    Are you looking for a basis for the subspace of all 2x2 matrices such that both entries in the second column are equal ?

Or are you only dealing with a single particular matrix in which case saying "basis for the matrix" would make no sense. Generally when we refer to a basis with regards to a single matrix we are referring to a basis for its column space, row space, or null spaces, of the columns and rows. In the context of linear algebra a basis is a minimal spanning set for a vector space.

Add some more detail to statement of the problem.

5. Jun 2, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think I answered this before- on a different forum (and for a different poster user name).

I suspect you are asking for a subspace of all 2 by 2 matrices of the form
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    such that b= d.

Such a matrix looks like
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & b \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}+ \begin{bmatrix}0 & b \\ 0 & b \end{bmatrix}+ \begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 \\ c & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    [tex]= a\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}+ b\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}+ c\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    If that does not answer your question, you need to talk to your instructor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted