Basis for $U$ using $\operatorname{null}A$

In summary: Since $X_{ij}$ is a basis for $U$, it must be that $\{X_{ij} : 1\leqslant i\leqslant n,\,1\leqslant j\leqslant n-r\}$ is a basis for $M_{nn}$ where $A$ is an $n$ by $n$ matrix. Therefore, $\dim U=n(n-r)$.
Dethrone
Prove: Let $A$ be an $n$ by $n$ matrix of rank $r$. If $U={}\left\{X \in M_{nn}|AX=0\right\}$, show that $\dim U=n(n-r)$.

Proof:
Clearly, $\dim \operatorname{null}A=n-r$, and let $X=[c_1,c_2,...,c_n]$ where $c_i \in \Bbb{R}^n$ are column vectors. Then since $AX=0$, using block multiplication, $Ac_i=0, \forall i$. Thus, $c_i \in \operatorname{null}A.$

I am not sure what to do now, but I think it has something to do with $n\cdot (n-r)$. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rido12,

I'm a little confused by the phrasing of $\dim U=n(n-r)$. Usually we talk about the dimension of the column space (rank) or the dimension of the null space (nullity). If we just talk about the dimension of a matrix, then we we list it as rows by columns, usually $m \times n$. However usually your notation of something like $M_{nn}$ then maybe this is simply asking for the dimension of $U$.

If this is indeed what they are asking, then we know that there are $n$ rows $X$ such that $AX=0$ and there are $n-r$ solutions to this equation, so $U$ should be of size $n(n-r)$.

Rido12 said:
Prove: Let $A$ be an $n$ by $n$ matrix of rank $r$. If $U={}\left\{X \in M_{nn}|AX=0\right\}$, show that $\dim U=n(n-r)$.

Proof:
Clearly, $\dim \operatorname{null}A=n-r$, and let $X=[c_1,c_2,...,c_n]$ where $c_i \in \Bbb{R}^n$ are column vectors. Then since $AX=0$, using block multiplication, $Ac_i=0, \forall i$. Thus, $c_i \in \operatorname{null}A.$

I am not sure what to do now, but I think it has something to do with $n\cdot (n-r)$. Any help is appreciated!
You are correct to start by saying that if $X\in U$ then each column of $X$ must be in $\operatorname{null}A$. Suppose that $\{v_1,\ldots,v_{n-r}\}$ is a basis for $\operatorname{null}A$. For $1\leqslant i\leqslant n$ and $1\leqslant j\leqslant n-r$, let $X_{ij}$ be the matrix whose $i$th column is $v_j$, and all its other columns are $0$. Show that $\{X_{ij} : 1\leqslant i\leqslant n,\,1\leqslant j\leqslant n-r\}$ is a basis for $U$.

1. What is the difference between dimension and rank?

Dimension and rank both refer to the number of independent elements in a vector space. However, dimension specifically refers to the number of vectors in a basis for the vector space, while rank refers to the number of linearly independent columns in a matrix. In other words, dimension is a property of a vector space, while rank is a property of a matrix.

2. How do you calculate the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space can be calculated by finding the number of vectors in a basis for the space. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire vector space. For example, the dimension of the vector space R^3 (3-dimensional space) is 3, since any three linearly independent vectors can form a basis for this space.

3. What is the significance of the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is important in determining the properties and solutions of linear systems. It can also provide information about the linear independence of the columns or rows of a matrix, and can be used to determine the dimension of the vector space spanned by the columns or rows of the matrix.

4. Can the rank of a matrix be greater than its dimension?

No, the rank of a matrix cannot be greater than its dimension. The rank of a matrix can be at most equal to the smaller of its number of rows or columns. This is because the rank of a matrix is determined by the number of linearly independent columns or rows, and there cannot be more linearly independent elements in a matrix than its dimension.

5. How can I use the concept of dimension and rank in real-world applications?

The concept of dimension and rank is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. In engineering, it can be used to analyze the stability and controllability of systems. In physics, it is used to understand the number of degrees of freedom in a system. In computer science, it is used in data compression and machine learning algorithms. Additionally, the concept of dimension and rank is also used in data analysis, image processing, and network analysis.