Basis vectors definition

In summary: A_j}}}{\partial{\tilde{A_j}}}=\frac{\partial{\hat{ε_i}}}{\partial{\hat{ε_j}}}Since the basis vectors are orthonormal, we have \frac{\partial{\hat{ε_i}}}{\partial{\hat{ε_j}}}=\delta_{ij}, where \delta_{ij} is the Kronecker delta.Therefore, the Jacobian matrix simplifies to:J=\begin{bmatrix} \delta_{11}& \delta_{12}&...&\delta_{1n}\\ \delta_{21}& \delta_{22}&...&\delta_{2n}\\ ...&...&...&...\\
Siberion

Homework Statement

A vector is a geometrical object which doesn't depend on the basis we use to represent it, only its components will change. We can express this by [itex] \vec{A}=ƩA_i \hat{ε_i} = Ʃ\tilde{A_i} \vec{ε_i}[/itex], where it has been emphasized that the basis ε is not necessarily orthonormal. Prove that the normalized vectors [itex]\hat{ε_i}[/itex] are given by:

[tex]\hat{ε_i}=\frac{\frac{\partial{\vec{A}}}{\partial{\tilde{A_i}}}}{|\frac{\partial{\vec{A}}}{\partial{\tilde{A_i}}}|}[/tex]

Use this to find expressions for the normalized vectors [itex]\hat{r}.\hat{\theta},\hat{\phi}[/itex] of spherical coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't have any idea of where should I start. This could be very easy but I'm kind of lost at the moment. Should I try working with the Jacobian matrix somehow?

Thanks for your help, I'll try to get an answer in the meantime and will edit the post if anything comes to my mind.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. You are correct in thinking that working with the Jacobian matrix will be helpful in proving the given expression for the normalized vectors. Let me guide you through the steps to solve this problem.

First, let's recall the definition of a vector in terms of its components and basis vectors:

\vec{A}=ƩA_i \hat{ε_i} = Ʃ\tilde{A_i} \vec{ε_i}

Where \hat{ε_i} and \vec{ε_i} are the basis vectors and A_i and \tilde{A_i} are the components of the vector A in the original and new basis, respectively.

Next, we can write the Jacobian matrix for the transformation of basis vectors as:

J=\begin{bmatrix} \frac{\partial{\hat{ε_1}}}{\partial{\tilde{ε_1}}}& \frac{\partial{\hat{ε_1}}}{\partial{\tilde{ε_2}}}&...&\frac{\partial{\hat{ε_1}}}{\partial{\tilde{ε_n}}}\\ \frac{\partial{\hat{ε_2}}}{\partial{\tilde{ε_1}}}& \frac{\partial{\hat{ε_2}}}{\partial{\tilde{ε_2}}}&...&\frac{\partial{\hat{ε_2}}}{\partial{\tilde{ε_n}}}\\ ...&...&...&...\\ \frac{\partial{\hat{ε_n}}}{\partial{\tilde{ε_1}}}& \frac{\partial{\hat{ε_n}}}{\partial{\tilde{ε_2}}}&...&\frac{\partial{\hat{ε_n}}}{\partial{\tilde{ε_n}}}\end{bmatrix}

Now, we can use the chain rule to express the basis vectors \hat{ε_i} in terms of the components \tilde{A_i} as follows:

\frac{\partial{\hat{ε_i}}}{\partial{\tilde{A_j}}}=\frac{\partial{\hat{ε_i}}}{\partial{\hat{ε_j}}}\frac{\partial{\hat{ε_j}}}{\partial{\tilde{A_j}}}=\frac{\partial{\hat{ε_i}}}{\partial{\hat{ε_j}}

1. What is the definition of basis vectors?

The basis vectors are a set of linearly independent vectors that can be combined to represent any other vector in a given vector space.

2. How are basis vectors used in linear algebra?

Basis vectors are used as a reference for representing and manipulating vectors in linear algebra. They allow for the creation of a coordinate system and provide a framework for understanding vector transformations.

3. What are the properties of basis vectors?

Some key properties of basis vectors include being linearly independent, spanning the vector space, and forming a basis for the space. They also have a magnitude of 1 and are orthogonal to each other.

4. Can basis vectors be in any dimension?

Yes, basis vectors can exist in any dimension as long as they are linearly independent and span the vector space. For example, in 3-dimensional space, the standard basis vectors are i, j, and k.

5. How do you calculate the basis vectors of a given vector space?

The basis vectors of a vector space can be calculated using various methods such as the Gram-Schmidt process or finding the linearly independent columns of the matrix representing the vector space.