Battery Powered LED

• Thread starter johnflynn
  • Start date
I have a 3x3x3 foot box that I want to light up in a place that does not have access to electricity. The box will ideally be as well lit as a regular room in the evening with red, green or blue light. We anticipate using the box 4 hours a day for 7 days.

Given these parameters I am trying to find the most efficient light and power source for the project. I cannot afford a generator which might limit the project to standard batteries as a power supply. If this is true, what LEDs might be appropriate/compatible with it? Is it feasible to modify LEDs that fit into standard lightbulb sockets or plug into wall sockets for use with a battery power supply?

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Why not just buy a LED flashlight or two?

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Welcome to PF;
You also need to specify how bright you want the box to be - i.e. what power are you hoping to put through the light-source. Then you can select batteries based on price and how much power they can supply.

i.e. you want to run a led lamp designed to use 10W at 12V, then you'd hook it to a car battery and it will draw 10W each hour until the battery voltage starts to drop. You need to know how the battery performs at the load too ...

meBigGuy
Gold Member
You might consider 12V led lighting strips from Amazon. And a Black and decker Auto Jump starter which gives you a chargable battery in a reasonable case. (but they are only like, say, 9 AmpereHours so you may not get the hours you want)