Battery-Powered LED: Feasible Solution for 3x3x3 Box?

In summary, LEDs are a suitable option for powering a 3x3x3 foot box that will be used for seven days. The box will be brightly lit with red, green or blue light.
johnflynn
I have a 3x3x3 foot box that I want to light up in a place that does not have access to electricity. The box will ideally be as well lit as a regular room in the evening with red, green or blue light. We anticipate using the box 4 hours a day for 7 days.

Given these parameters I am trying to find the most efficient light and power source for the project. I cannot afford a generator which might limit the project to standard batteries as a power supply. If this is true, what LEDs might be appropriate/compatible with it? Is it feasible to modify LEDs that fit into standard lightbulb sockets or plug into wall sockets for use with a battery power supply?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why not just buy a LED flashlight or two?

Welcome to PF;
You also need to specify how bright you want the box to be - i.e. what power are you hoping to put through the light-source. Then you can select batteries based on price and how much power they can supply.

i.e. you want to run a led lamp designed to use 10W at 12V, then you'd hook it to a car battery and it will draw 10W each hour until the battery voltage starts to drop. You need to know how the battery performs at the load too ...

If you don't want to build your own, you could just buy battery-powered, wall mount LED night-lights.

http://www.destinationlighting.com/storeitem.jhtml?iid=337903&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=AccentLamps&gclid=CN3M_b2N-rgCFap7QgodJBwAaA

Buy a few of these and place them strategically along the walls/ceiling. Should do the trick, if you are willing to replace batteries every so often. They sell these at ACE hardware I'm fairly sure...

You might consider 12V led lighting strips from Amazon. And a Black and decker Auto Jump starter which gives you a chargable battery in a reasonable case. (but they are only like, say, 9 AmpereHours so you may not get the hours you want)

1. What is a battery-powered LED?

A battery-powered LED is a light-emitting diode (LED) that is powered by a battery as its energy source. It uses a small amount of energy from the battery to produce light.

2. How does a battery-powered LED work?

A battery-powered LED works by using a semiconductor material to convert electrical energy into light. When a current passes through the semiconductor, it excites the electrons, causing them to emit photons, which are the particles of light.

3. Can a battery-powered LED be used as a feasible solution for a 3x3x3 box?

Yes, a battery-powered LED can be a feasible solution for a 3x3x3 box. The small size and low energy consumption of LEDs make them suitable for use in small spaces like a 3x3x3 box. They also have a longer lifespan compared to traditional light bulbs, making them a more sustainable option.

4. What are the advantages of using a battery-powered LED in a 3x3x3 box?

Some advantages of using a battery-powered LED in a 3x3x3 box include its low energy consumption, longer lifespan, and compact size. LEDs also produce less heat than traditional light bulbs, making them safer to use in enclosed spaces.

5. Are there any limitations to using a battery-powered LED in a 3x3x3 box?

One limitation of using a battery-powered LED in a 3x3x3 box is that it may not provide as much light as traditional light bulbs. However, this can be solved by using multiple LEDs or by choosing LEDs with a higher lumen output. Additionally, the initial cost of LEDs may be higher than traditional light bulbs, but their longer lifespan can make them more cost-effective in the long run.