1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam resting on wide supports with a distributed load

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A beams is 3.0m long, it rests on two wide supports. The support A is 0.5m wide. Support B is unknown. Point A is taken to be the end of the beam on your left.

Support A has a loading intensity of 75 N/m.

The load on the beam acts with a force of 300N, 2.0m from point A.

The question requires working out the width AND loading intensity of support B, such that the "resultant force and couple moment" about point A is Zero.

2. Relevant equations

Unsure!

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot find any examples that use wide supports on beams, or involve loading intensities on those supports. All examples I have found use pivot points! How do I account for the fact that the beam is resting on wide supports, not pivot points, and how would I go about working out the dimensions for Support B and it's loading intensity?

Can someone please point me in the right path?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

Think of the supports as uniformly distributed loads in the opposite direction of the 300N load. The 2 unknowns are the width of the load and intensity at B (the problem doesn't state but you can assume point B is the end of the beam). You are asked to find the width and intensity of the support load at B such that the resultant force is zero and moment about point A is zero. Two equations and two unknowns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook