Bearings (compass headings) question high school

In summary, a man walks 3 km due east and then 5 km northeast. The angle between these two paths is 135 degrees. Using the cosine law, the distance from his original position is found to be ##\sqrt{89}## km. The angle 135 degrees is an intermediate step in solving the problem.
phospho
A man walks 3 km due east and then 5 km northeast. Find his distance and bearing from his original position.

ive drawn the triangle, but have no idea how to get an angle out of it, I've looked at the solution and they have somehow got the angle 135, though I understand their steps after they got the angle, just don't know how they got it.

Physics news on Phys.org

welcome to the forums phospho!

you need to show some work before we can help.

I'd start by drawing a picture. Also you know the angle when he starts walking NE as 45 degrees from the horizontal right?

So that means the interior angle is? ...answer left to the student...

Do you get an angle about 32 degrees and distance ##\sqrt{89}##? I don't see where 135 degrees has anything to do with this problem either, at least not if you know how to use vectors.

[Edit] Never mind, my calculations are wrong so just ignore this post, especially since you aren't to use vectors anyway.

Last edited:

jedishrfu said:
welcome to the forums phospho!

you need to show some work before we can help.

I'd start by drawing a picture. Also you know the angle when he starts walking NE as 45 degrees from the horizontal right?

So that means the interior angle is? ...answer left to the student...

I have no idea about exterior and interior angles, do you have a link which explains them?

the bold part made sense of how they got 135, i was then able to solve the question... I feel like such an idiot.

LCKurtz said:
Do you get an angle about 32 degrees and distance ##\sqrt{89}##? I don't see where 135 degrees has anything to do with this problem either, at least not if you know how to use vectors.

this kind of leads on to vectors, they don't want us to use vectors as of yet.

I don't see how you would get an angle greater than 45. I made a drawing and the angle has to be less than 45 degrees.

krackers said:
I don't see how you would get an angle greater than 45. I made a drawing and the angle has to be less than 45 degrees.

If you draw the path of the man the angle between walking east and then going NE is 135 ie 180-45) given that angle and the lengths of the sides of the triangle created you have enough info the compute the angle and actual distance from the staring point.

So the 135 degrees is intermediate info needed to solve the problem.

So you understand the 135 degrees? Good. Now you have a triangle with sides of length 3 and 5 and angle between them 135 degrees. Now use the "cosine law": if a triangle has sides of length a, b, and c, and the angle opposite side c has measure c, then [itex]c^2= a^2+ b^2- 2ab cos(C)[/itex]. (If C= 90 degrees, so this is a right triangle, cos(C)= 0 and this is the Pythagorean theorem. If C= 180 degrees, so we really have a straight line, cos(180)= -1 and this is [itex]c^2= a^2+ b^2+ 2ab= (a+ b)^2[/itex], c= a+ b. If C= 0 degrees, so we are "doubling back", cos(0)= 1 and this is [itex]c^2= a^2+ b^2- 2ab= (a- b)^2[/itex], c= |a- b|.)

Last edited by a moderator:

HallsofIvy said:
"The angle"? Which angle are you talking about? The triangle formed by "3km due east", "5 km northeast", and the line from his starting point to his ending point has three angles. And one of them is 135 degrees. (Hint: 45+ 135= 190)

If you really have never taken geometry, which you appear to be saying (I have no idea about exterior and interior angles), then you probably don't have the math necessary for this course.

Well, that's why I'm trying to fill in the gaps that I am missing.

phospho said:
Well, that's why I'm trying to fill in the gaps that I am missing.
I have edited my original response.

HallsofIvy said:
I have edited my original response.

thanks, completely understand what you did there, but did not seem to figure out the angle 135... oh dear.

thanks again everyone.

1. What are bearings and how are they used in navigation?

Bearings are a way of expressing direction or heading using degrees. They are commonly used in navigation to determine the direction of an object or destination relative to the observer's position.

2. How do you convert between true bearings and magnetic bearings?

To convert between true bearings (based on geographic north) and magnetic bearings (based on magnetic north), you need to take into account the difference between the two norths, known as the magnetic declination. This can be found on maps or online, and then you can use a formula to convert the bearings.

3. Can bearings be negative numbers?

Yes, bearings can be negative numbers. This typically occurs when the direction is west or south, as they are measured in degrees in a clockwise direction from north. For example, a bearing of -45 degrees would be equivalent to a bearing of 315 degrees.

4. How do you use a compass to determine a bearing?

To determine a bearing using a compass, you first need to ensure that the compass is properly aligned and calibrated. Then, hold the compass level and rotate your body until the red needle lines up with the orienting arrow. The direction you are facing is your bearing.

5. Are bearings affected by the curvature of the Earth?

Yes, bearings can be affected by the curvature of the Earth. This is known as the curvature of the Earth correction, and it becomes more significant over longer distances. To account for this, a correction factor can be applied to the bearing calculation.