Beat Physics E&M: Is Electromagnetism Harder Than Mechanics?

In summary: Generally speaking, if you're doing well in your classes and find the material easy to understand, you're probably doing well. Check out your instructor's website and look for resources like this one. Originally posted by meister
meister
I've just completed my first year of physics. I got A's in the first two quarters, but E&M gave me a hearty asskicking. Is electromagnetism supposed to be this difficult? Is it an aberration or the norm for physics classes from now on?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are too many variable to say with certainty. Your teacher's skill, your book's clarity, your personal aptitude, your study habits, etc. all come into play in determining how difficult or how easy a subject is to learn. Just because E&M was difficult for you does not mean that anything else will be; on the other hand, just because mechanics was easy for you also does not mean anything else will be.

E&M is, by most accounts, more difficult than mechanics, largely because it involves more difficult mathematics and does not deal with things you can see or feel with your own senses. You don't have much "E&M intuition" when you first walk into the classroom -- you just have to solve lots and lots of problems to build it up.

This is my "algorithm:"

Step 1) Rate the instructor. Is he clear? Does he explain in enough detail to make the homework only moderately difficult, or does he solve micky-mouse problems in class and expect you to solve problems a hundred times more difficult in homework? Does he seem to really care if you understand or not? If the instructor sucks, get another one and return to step one.

Step 2) Rate the book he's chosen to use. Is it clear and thorough? Does it explain in enough detail to make its problem sets only moderately difficult? Does it seem to pull things out of thin air all the time? Does it follow along closely enough with your instructor's pedagogical flow? Your book should be a sort of glorified reference, and should be able to at least reiterate what your teacher said in class when you get stumped. It should complement his lectures, not provide an entirely different way of looking at things. If the book sucks, buy an additional, better one, and return to step two.

Step 3) Build up your physical intuition. Solve many, many problems, until you can look at a problem and begin salivating (a la Palov) because you know exactly how the answer is going to look before your pencil hits the paper. If you look at a problem and don't have at least a good solid educated guess about how the problem is going to turn out, you should go back and do some simpler ones first.

- Warren

Originally posted by meister
I've just completed my first year of physics. I got A's in the first two quarters, but E&M gave me a hearty asskicking. Is electromagnetism supposed to be this difficult? Is it an aberration or the norm for physics classes from now on?

I am of the opinion that EM is in fact harder than mechanics, and the discrepancy in difficulty increases as you move up the ladder. It's not that the math is so advanced (conceptually), it's that the problems are so much more complicated when formulated mathematically.

Originally posted by meister

It depends on the individual. I loved that part of it. I did excellant in it. I had a harder time with thermo.

Pete

I always found E&M hard: the maths is difficult in addition to it being rather under-developed conceptually, for historical reasons.

I've just finished my second year and I found E&M by Duffin to be a massive help. The publisher Wily released a book of the same name recently too, which is also pretty good.

1. Why do many students find electromagnetism harder than mechanics in physics?

Electromagnetism is often considered more challenging than mechanics because it involves abstract concepts such as electric and magnetic fields, which cannot be seen or touched. It also requires a strong understanding of vector calculus and mathematical techniques, which can be intimidating for some students.

2. What are some key differences between electromagnetism and mechanics?

While both electromagnetism and mechanics are branches of physics, they have some distinct differences. Mechanics deals with the motion of objects and the forces that act upon them, while electromagnetism focuses on the interaction between electric and magnetic fields and charged particles. Additionally, mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion, while electromagnetism is based on Maxwell's equations.

3. How can I improve my understanding of electromagnetism?

To better understand electromagnetism, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and vector calculus. Additionally, practicing problems and visualizing electric and magnetic fields can help improve understanding. Seeking help from a tutor or professor can also be beneficial.

4. Is there a way to make electromagnetism easier to understand?

While electromagnetism can be challenging, there are ways to make it more manageable. Breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more digestible parts can help. Additionally, using real-life examples and analogies can aid in understanding abstract concepts.

5. How can I prepare for a physics exam that covers both electromagnetism and mechanics?

The best way to prepare for an exam covering both electromagnetism and mechanics is to review and practice problems from both topics. Make sure to focus on understanding the underlying principles and relationships between concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending review sessions can also be beneficial.