1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beats Question

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose you're operating a machine with two motors. If the two motors are not operating at the same rpm, you will hear a periodic variation in the intensity of the sound-that is, beats. Suppose the tachometer that indicates the rotation rate of one motor is malfunctioning. The operational one shows 3600 rpm. You hear a beat every 21 s. You are certain the other motor is running fast.

What is its rotational speed in rpm?

2. Relevant equations
    w1-w2 is the frequency of amplitude change (according to the textbook).

3. Attempt at solution
    delta_w = 2pi/T = w1-w2
    w1 - 2pi/T = w2

w2 is not valid (given that I have converted all units to standard and back into rpm). So I think my formula isn't valid. Can someone derive a correct one please? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

How many times has one motor turned in 21 seconds?

If during the beat the "faster" one precessed such that you discrened a "beat" wouldn't that mean that the faster one - over that time - rotated 1 more complete time than the other?

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3
    >> How many times has one motor turned in 21 seconds?
    The first one rotated 3600 rpm * m/60s * 21s times. I don't know about the second one since it's the one I need to find.

>> If during the beat the "faster" one precessed such that you discerned a "beat" wouldn't that mean that the faster one - over that time - rotated 1 more complete time than the other?

Why would it be "1" more complete time than the other? How do I know how many more times it rotated? How is this tied into the formula? Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?