Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Beats Question

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose you're operating a machine with two motors. If the two motors are not operating at the same rpm, you will hear a periodic variation in the intensity of the sound-that is, beats. Suppose the tachometer that indicates the rotation rate of one motor is malfunctioning. The operational one shows 3600 rpm. You hear a beat every 21 s. You are certain the other motor is running fast.

What is its rotational speed in rpm?

2. Relevant equations
    w1-w2 is the frequency of amplitude change (according to the textbook).

3. Attempt at solution
    delta_w = 2pi/T = w1-w2
    w1 - 2pi/T = w2

w2 is not valid (given that I have converted all units to standard and back into rpm). So I think my formula isn't valid. Can someone derive a correct one please? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

How many times has one motor turned in 21 seconds?

If during the beat the "faster" one precessed such that you discrened a "beat" wouldn't that mean that the faster one - over that time - rotated 1 more complete time than the other?

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3
    >> How many times has one motor turned in 21 seconds?
    The first one rotated 3600 rpm * m/60s * 21s times. I don't know about the second one since it's the one I need to find.

>> If during the beat the "faster" one precessed such that you discerned a "beat" wouldn't that mean that the faster one - over that time - rotated 1 more complete time than the other?

Why would it be "1" more complete time than the other? How do I know how many more times it rotated? How is this tied into the formula? Thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook