Become a Science Advisor/Mentor on Physics Forums

• Thread starter Superposed_Cat
  • Start date
In summary, to become a science advisor or mentor on PF, one must be chosen by the mentors after private discussions and based on their knowledge and behavior in the forum. Emeritus status is given to retired mentors and a thanks label is earned by receiving a high number of thanks on posts. Patrons are those who support the forum through donations. Nominations for science advisors and homework helpers are made by other SAs and HHs, and the final decision is discussed by the mentors.
Superposed_Cat
How do you become a sci advisor, mentor ect on PF? I didn't know how to find out so I posted this here.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mentors choose new science advisors after private discussions, based on observing their knowledge and behavior in the forum. The mentors choose new mentors similarly, generally from among the SAs. At least I can't remember any new mentors who were not previously SAs.

Yoh. How do you get an emeritus and a thanks label?

Superposed_Cat said:
Yoh. How do you get an emeritus and a thanks label?

You get a thanks label by thanking all my posts.

Likes 1 person
but seriously...

Superposed_Cat said:
but seriously...

You get a thanks title when a lot of people click on "thanks" below your posts. I'm not sure what the exact number is though.

You get a "PF PATRON" (btw, what a horrible name that is!) if you donate to PF, that is, if you buy gold membership.

Last edited:
Admin - self explanatory
Mentor - acts as an admin for a particular subsection of the forum; chosen for expertise in the field covered by the subsection
Emeritus - used to be a staff member(Mentor or Admin)
Science Advisor - has shown to know the science he posts about; named by Mentors
Homework Helper - has history of helpful posts in the Homework section; named by Mentors
Thanks - has been thanked many times(~100, I'm guessing)
Patron - supports the forum with donations

jtbell said:
The mentors choose new science advisors after private discussions, based on observing their knowledge and behavior in the forum. The mentors choose new mentors similarly, generally from among the SAs. At least I can't remember any new mentors who were not previously SAs.

So I guess I'm just chopped liver then :-p

SAs and HHs are nominated by other SAs and HHs. As most Mentors are either SAs and/or HHs, they can nominate too.

Final decision is discussed by Mentors.

Office_Shredder said:
So I guess I'm just chopped liver then :-p

Call yourself pate, and you can charge twice the price.

Zz.

and how do I get an emeritus?

Superposed_Cat said:
and how do I get an emeritus?
You won't. It's a retired mentor.

1. What qualifications do I need to become a science advisor/mentor on Physics Forums?

To become a science advisor/mentor on Physics Forums, you should have a strong background in a scientific field, such as physics, chemistry, biology, or engineering. You should also have excellent communication skills and a passion for helping others learn. Additionally, you may be required to have previous experience in mentoring or teaching.

2. How do I apply to become a science advisor/mentor on Physics Forums?

To apply to become a science advisor/mentor on Physics Forums, you can visit the "Become a Science Advisor/Mentor" forum and fill out the application form. You will be asked to provide information about your qualifications and experience, as well as your availability and preferred areas of expertise.

3. What are the responsibilities of a science advisor/mentor on Physics Forums?

As a science advisor/mentor on Physics Forums, your main responsibility is to provide guidance and support to students and other members of the community who have questions about science. This may include answering questions, providing explanations and resources, and offering advice and tips. You may also be asked to moderate discussions and ensure that all posts are in line with the forum rules.

4. What are the benefits of becoming a science advisor/mentor on Physics Forums?

Becoming a science advisor/mentor on Physics Forums can be a rewarding experience. You will have the opportunity to share your knowledge and expertise with others, help students and aspiring scientists, and contribute to a vibrant online community of science enthusiasts. Additionally, being a science advisor/mentor can enhance your communication and teaching skills, and may also look impressive on your resume.

5. Is there any training or support provided for science advisor/mentors on Physics Forums?

Yes, there is training and support provided for science advisor/mentors on Physics Forums. The forum moderators and administrators are available to answer any questions and provide guidance. There are also resources and guidelines available to help you become an effective advisor/mentor. Additionally, you can connect with other science advisors/mentors on the forum and learn from their experiences and strategies.