Becoming a scientific researcher

• Thread starter chez_butt23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's desire to become a paleontologist and the steps they need to take to become a scientific researcher. They mention their current plans to study evolutionary biology in college and their understanding that they will need to earn a PhD. The other person suggests reading books for advice on becoming a scientist.
chez_butt23
I have wanted to be a paleontologist my entire life. I am currently a senior in high school, going to college as an evolutionary biology major next year. I know that I have plenty of time before I really have to worry about this, but how does one become a scientific researcher? Obviously I need to earn a PhD in my field, but I am not sure where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
chez_butt23 said:
I have wanted to be a paleontologist my entire life. I am currently a senior in high school, going to college as an evolutionary biology major next year. I know that I have plenty of time before I really have to worry about this, but how does one become a scientific researcher? Obviously I need to earn a PhD in my field, but I am not sure where to go from there.

I know its early days, but do you have any idea of any specifics? It's ok if you don't since most people decide on specifics when they've had a decent amount of exposure to a particular area.

To be honest I'm pretty ignorant of your field. For all I know all the famous archeology type people are like Indiana Jones being a professor 9-5 monday to friday, and on the weekends discovering the holy grail and saving the world, but that's just me. [I'm certain its not as glamorous though ;)]

Try reading: Advice to a Young Scientist by P.B. Medawar

First of all, congratulations on pursuing your passion for paleontology and embarking on the journey to become a scientific researcher! It is an exciting and rewarding career path that requires dedication and hard work.

To become a scientific researcher, earning a PhD in your field is definitely a crucial step. This will involve several years of graduate study and research, where you will have the opportunity to delve deeper into your specific area of interest and contribute to the scientific community through your own research projects.

In addition to obtaining a PhD, it is important to gain experience and skills in research methods and techniques, as well as staying up-to-date with advancements and developments in your field. This can be achieved through internships, volunteering, attending conferences and workshops, and collaborating with other researchers.

Networking and building connections within the scientific community is also crucial for a successful research career. This can be done through attending conferences, joining professional organizations, and reaching out to established researchers in your field.

Furthermore, it is important to develop strong communication and writing skills, as these are essential for sharing your research findings with others through publications, presentations, and collaborations.

Lastly, being a successful scientific researcher also requires a passion for learning and a curious mindset. Embracing new ideas and being open to new perspectives will help you stay motivated and continuously push the boundaries of knowledge in your field.

Overall, while obtaining a PhD is a key step in becoming a scientific researcher, it is important to continuously seek opportunities for learning, networking, and growth in order to achieve success in this field. Best of luck on your journey!

What is the education required to become a scientific researcher?

To become a scientific researcher, you typically need a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a scientific field such as biology, chemistry, physics, or a related field. However, many researchers also have a master's degree or a Ph.D. in their specific area of research.

What skills are necessary to be a successful scientific researcher?

Some key skills and qualities that are important for a scientific researcher include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, analytical skills, communication skills, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Additionally, strong research and technical skills are essential for conducting experiments and analyzing data.

What is the typical career path for a scientific researcher?

The career path for a scientific researcher can vary, but it usually involves obtaining a bachelor's degree, followed by a master's degree or Ph.D. in a specific field of study. After completing their education, many researchers start as assistants or junior researchers and work their way up to more senior positions with more responsibility and independence.

What are the daily responsibilities of a scientific researcher?

The daily responsibilities of a scientific researcher can vary depending on their specific area of research, but they typically involve designing and conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, writing reports and articles for publication, and presenting their findings to colleagues and the scientific community.

What are some challenges of being a scientific researcher?

Some challenges of being a scientific researcher include the highly competitive nature of the field, the pressure to obtain funding for research projects, and the long hours and dedication required for successful research. Additionally, researchers may face challenges in balancing their work with their personal lives, and may also encounter setbacks and failures in their research.