Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bed fluidization + air blower

1. Oct 16, 2015 #1
    I'm looking to create a fluidization bed like in this video by putting an air blower under a cylinder of beads. For a given cylinder and particle type, I was looking into the flow velocity needed to make this happen.
    I came across this (see the first section) which gives a numerical result for u, the minimum velocity required for fluidization, in the range that I'd expect.
    I was initially somewhat surprised that the formula and result are independent of the height, equivalently the mass, of the particles in the cylinder. (Just in case, I derived this myself and also found a dissertation that experimentally confirms this for several geometries.) But I guess the result -- the minimum flow velocity V required for fluidization -- assumes the air blower is able to deliver that velocity, or at least deliver that flow rate Q = V * Area at the blower exit, which seems to be reported by air blower specs (in cubic feet per meter CFM)

So I suspect it has something to do with HP or Wattage of the blower. In other words, if I have a required flow velocity, a cross-sectional area, all the variables in the washu link plus height of the particles (or their mass and density), and a blower's spec'd flow rate (in CFM), how do determine if a blower will suffice? Some f(horsepower)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook