Bed fluidization + air blower

• Thread starter coolnessitself
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, to create a fluidization bed, you need to calculate the minimum flow velocity required (u) and ensure that the blower you are using can deliver a flow rate (Q) that is equal to or greater than V * A. This may require considering the horsepower or wattage of the blower.
coolnessitself
I'm looking to create a fluidization bed like in this video by putting an air blower under a cylinder of beads. For a given cylinder and particle type, I was looking into the flow velocity needed to make this happen.
I came across this (see the first section) which gives a numerical result for u, the minimum velocity required for fluidization, in the range that I'd expect.
I was initially somewhat surprised that the formula and result are independent of the height, equivalently the mass, of the particles in the cylinder. (Just in case, I derived this myself and also found a dissertation that experimentally confirms this for several geometries.) But I guess the result -- the minimum flow velocity V required for fluidization -- assumes the air blower is able to deliver that velocity, or at least deliver that flow rate Q = V * Area at the blower exit, which seems to be reported by air blower specs (in cubic feet per meter CFM)

So I suspect it has something to do with HP or Wattage of the blower. In other words, if I have a required flow velocity, a cross-sectional area, all the variables in the washu link plus height of the particles (or their mass and density), and a blower's spec'd flow rate (in CFM), how do determine if a blower will suffice? Some f(horsepower)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The formula for the minimum flow velocity (u) required for fluidization is dependent on the particle diameter, but it is independent of the height (or mass) of the particles. The formula assumes that the air blower is able to deliver the required flow velocity (V). To determine if a particular blower will suffice, you need to calculate the flow rate (Q) at the blower exit, which is equal to V * A (where V is the minimum flow velocity and A is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder). The flow rate of the blower should be greater than or equal to the calculated flow rate (Q) in order for it to be sufficient. The flow rate of the blower is usually reported in cubic feet per minute (CFM), which can be converted to horsepower (HP) or watts (W).

1. What is bed fluidization?

Bed fluidization is a process in which a solid material, such as particles or grains, is suspended in a fluid, typically air or water, and behaves like a fluid. This is achieved by introducing a gas or liquid flow through the material, causing it to become more fluidized and exhibit properties similar to those of a liquid.

2. How does an air blower aid in bed fluidization?

An air blower is used to supply a continuous flow of air or gas into the bed of solid material, which helps to keep the particles in suspension and maintain fluidization. The air blower also helps to distribute the air or gas evenly throughout the bed, ensuring consistent fluidization.

3. What are the benefits of using bed fluidization with an air blower?

Bed fluidization with an air blower has several benefits, including improved mixing and homogeneity of the solid material, increased heat and mass transfer rates, and better control over the process. It also allows for the handling of materials that are difficult to move or process in their solid state.

4. What industries commonly use bed fluidization with air blowers?

Bed fluidization with air blowers is commonly used in industries such as chemical, pharmaceutical, food and beverage, and environmental engineering. It is also used in processes such as drying, granulation, coating, and catalysis.

5. Are there any limitations to bed fluidization with air blowers?

While bed fluidization with air blowers has many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. These include the potential for particle attrition, the need for careful control of air flow and pressure, and the possibility of material agglomeration. Additionally, certain materials may not be suitable for fluidization due to their particle size, shape, or density.