Been bothered by this equilibrium problem

• Thread starter pigiamino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium of a sign at Lew's Bait Shop and Sushi Restaurant. The sign is supported by a wire and a pivot, and its dimensions and weight are given. The first part of the conversation discusses the force and torque exerted by the pivot on the sign after the wire is cut. The second part discusses the tension in the wire and the force exerted on the sign by the pivot when the sign was new. The conversation also touches on finding the minimum tension in the wire and the angle at which it occurs.
pigiamino

Homework Statement

The sign for Lew's Bait Shop and Sushi Restaurant is a uniform rectangle, 1.50m wide and 0.800m tall, weighing 300N. It is supported by a wire at its upper-right corner and a pivot at its lower left corner.

a) Late one night the wire was cut while the sign stays in place because the pivot has rusted tight. After the wire has been cut, find the magnitude and direction of the force and of the torque exerted by the pivot on the sign
b) When the sign was brand new, the pivot was frictionless and the wire was at the angle that minimised the tension in it. Find the tension in the wire and the magnitude and direction of the foece exerted on the sign by the pivot.

2. Homework Equations and The attempt at a solution

For a), since the sign is in equilibrium, ƩF=0. supporting force exerted by the pivot N=mg=300N upwards. Ʃτ=0, gravity exerts a torque about the pivot=F*l =300N*0.75m=225N*m clockwise, so the torque exerted by the pivot should be equal and opposite to torque exerted by the pivot. The latter part of this problem a) confuses me. There seems to be sth not right.

For b), I assumed the angle between wire and horizon is θ, so the components of T are T(x)=Tcosθ and T(y)=Tsinθ, and the components of force N exerted by the pivot are N(vertial) and N(horizontal). so T(x)=N(horizontal), T(y)+N(vertical)=mg=300N. For the torque, I was confused as well since the latter bit of problem a).

I was wondering if anyone could kindly help on this problem, please. I appreciate.

Physics news on Phys.org
pigiamino said:
The latter part of this problem a) confuses me. There seems to be sth not right.
Looks ok to me. What's bothering you?
For b), I assumed the angle between wire and horizon is θ, so the components of T are T(x)=Tcosθ and T(y)=Tsinθ, and the components of force N exerted by the pivot are N(vertial) and N(horizontal). so T(x)=N(horizontal), T(y)+N(vertical)=mg=300N. For the torque, I was confused as well since the latter bit of problem a).
What is the torque from the pivot now? From the wire?

It is easier to write up the equilibrium torque equation with respect to the pivot. The equation will contain the tension in the wire T and sine and cosine of the unknown angle θ. Consider T as function of θ. It is minimum if the derivative dT/dθ =0. You get θ from this condition.

ehild

haruspex said:
Looks ok to me. What's bothering you?

What is the torque from the pivot now? From the wire?

a) the second condition for equilibrium is Ʃτ about any point is 0. if there is a force exerted by the pivot on its lower left corner to the cg, and I choose cg as my point to calculate torque. I obtain a disaster that Ʃτ varies with different points I choose.

b) since a), I have no clue on b)

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I meant, what is the torque from the pivot about the pivot in part (b) of the question? What are the other torques about the pivot?

1. What is an equilibrium problem?

An equilibrium problem refers to a situation in which opposing forces or factors are in balance. This can occur in various scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and biology. In these cases, the system is stable and there is no change in the overall state.

2. How do you identify an equilibrium problem?

An equilibrium problem can be identified by analyzing the forces or factors acting on a system. If the forces or factors are equal and opposite, and there is no net change or movement, then the system is in equilibrium. Additionally, graphs or diagrams can also show the state of equilibrium in a system.

3. What causes an equilibrium problem?

An equilibrium problem can be caused by various factors, such as equal and opposite forces, opposing chemical reactions, or balanced energy inputs and outputs. It can also occur when a system is isolated from external influences, preventing any change in its state.

4. How do you solve an equilibrium problem?

To solve an equilibrium problem, you must first identify the forces or factors acting on the system and their respective strengths. Then, you can use mathematical equations or graphical methods to determine the exact state of equilibrium. If the system is not in equilibrium, adjustments can be made to balance the forces or factors and achieve equilibrium.

5. What are the real-life applications of understanding equilibrium problems?

Understanding equilibrium problems is crucial in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and biology. In chemistry, it helps to predict the direction of a chemical reaction and determine the optimal conditions for a reaction to occur. In physics, it is essential for understanding the stability of structures and predicting the behavior of objects in motion. In biology, it plays a role in understanding the interactions between organisms and their environments.