Been watching For All Mankind footage of the Apollo Mission, and have one question

• Thread starter seasnake
  • Start date
negitron
Science Advisor

There is absolutely nothing there that refutes the claim. Certainly nothing from a bunch of guys talking about their personal eclipse stories.
Actually, the refutation is in the form of a reference to Phil Plait's book, in which he refutes the claim.

In any case, it takes only a modicum of common sense and logic to realize that this is a false premise. Regardless of the amount of light entering the iris, the contrast (the ratio between the lightest objects and the darkest objects) will remain the same. Only now, with your pupils dilated, everything is washed out--ever stumble out of a matinee into bright daylight?

DaveC426913
Gold Member

Actually, the refutation is in the form of a reference to Phil Plait's book, in which he refutes the claim.

In any case, it takes only a modicum of common sense and logic to realize that this is a false premise. Regardless of the amount of light entering the iris, the contrast (the ratio between the lightest objects and the darkest objects) will remain the same. Only now, with your pupils dilated, everything is washed out--ever stumble out of a matinee into bright daylight?
Ah, I see. You're refuting the "bottom of a well" part, not the whole thing about seeing planets by day if you know where to look. OK. That I'll grant.

negitron
Science Advisor

Oh, yes. Apologies if I wasn't clear on that.