1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginner's quantum mechanic homework

1. Dec 14, 2005 #1
    [tex]\widehat{H} = \frac{p^2}{2m} + V(x)[/tex]

if eigenvalue of H operator is [tex]E_n[/tex] and eigenvectors are [tex]u_n[/tex], show that

[tex]\Sigma_m (E_m-E_n) |x_{mn}|^2 = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}[/tex]

is true. here, [tex]x_{mn} = (u_m, xu_n)[/tex] is a matrix element.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Could you please show us what you've done so far? We can't help until you do. Thanks.

4. Dec 14, 2005 #3
    well, we've read the question over and over again and, ummm, that's almost it i guess. expect we tried orthagonality relation -maybe it had something with the question- and realized we've all messed it up...

in short, we couldn't manage to get anything worth to mention...

5. Dec 14, 2005 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

I don't understand your question. Is that sum supposed to be over n and m? And what exactly is xmn? Is it a vector? A complex number? What does x represent? Please be clearer with your notation.

6. Dec 14, 2005 #5

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

gulsen,

Here are some thoughts to help you get started. The first thing I would do is expand out the left hand side so you can see the structure. In other words, write it something like [tex] \sum_m (E_m - E_n)\langle n | x | m \rangle \langle m | x | n \rangle, [/tex] where all I have done is make everthing very explicit. From this expression is should be clear that you can perform the m sum, so why don't you try again with this hint.

StatusX.

The sum is just over m, it just so happens that the result is independent of n. Also, [tex] x_{n m} = \langle n | x | m \rangle [/tex] is a matrix element (a complex number) of the position operator [tex] x [/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?