Beginners' Solid State & Electronics Textbooks

In summary, the speaker is a first-year graduate student in an experimental condensed matter group and is looking for resources to catch up on their lack of knowledge in this field. They have no experience in condensed matter or experimental physics, and only have a background in quantum mechanics, classical mechanics, and E&M. They are specifically looking for resources on band gaps, doping, semiconductors, and lattice arrangements. Some suggestions given were Ashcroft and Mermin, Kittel's, and a book on electronic devices by Robert Pierre.
Sam I Am
I have found a couple other threads like this but I am looking for something at a very beginning level. I joined an experimental condensed matter group for the summer at the school where I will be matriculating as a first-year graduate student in the fall. They study various electrical/mechanical properties of graphene which is endlessly fascinating to me and I enjoy the work that I will be doing, but I am so far behind in terms of knowledge that I need desperately to catch up.

Not only have I no experience in condensed matter, but none in experimental physics either. My undergraduate department did not have any labs, nor any faculty doing research in condensed matter/solid state, or anything experimental.

The experimental know-how is something I will pick up as time progresses, but the lack of knowledge about electronics/solid state is something that I can work on. My background knowledge is one semester of quantum mechanics, one semester of classical mechanics, and two semesters of E&M.

For example, some things that I would like to be covered:
  • band gaps (indirect vs. direct)
  • doping, semiconductors
  • lattice arrangements (grain size, etc.)

Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!

(edit: thanks for moving the thread)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aschroft and Mermin and Kittel's are the standard textbooks on solid state physics, there's another book with solved exercises in Solid state physics which you can check in amazon (I don't remember its name by heart).

If you look at more EE books on Electronic Devices then there's the book by Robert Pierre, called Fundementals of Semiconductors.

1. What is a solid state material?

A solid state material is a type of substance that has a rigid and fixed structure, with atoms arranged in a regular pattern. These materials are typically insulators or semiconductors and are commonly used in electronic devices such as transistors and computer chips.

2. What is the difference between solid state and electronic devices?

Solid state devices are electronic devices that rely on the movement of charged particles through a solid material, such as a semiconductor, to function. Electronic devices, on the other hand, can use various mediums such as vacuum tubes, gas or liquid-filled tubes, and even organic materials to control the movement of charged particles.

3. What is the importance of studying solid state and electronics?

Studying solid state and electronics is essential for understanding the functioning of electronic devices that are crucial in our daily lives. It also allows for the development of new materials and technologies, leading to advancements in various fields such as communication, healthcare, and energy.

4. What are some basic concepts covered in beginners' solid state and electronics textbooks?

Some basic concepts covered in beginners' solid state and electronics textbooks include crystal structures, band theory, semiconductor materials, electronic properties of solids, and basic circuit analysis. These concepts are essential for understanding the behavior and operation of electronic devices.

5. Is prior knowledge of physics and math necessary for studying solid state and electronics?

Yes, a basic understanding of physics and math is necessary for studying solid state and electronics. These subjects provide the foundation for understanding the principles and theories behind the behavior and operation of solid state materials and electronic devices. However, most beginners' textbooks provide a comprehensive review of these subjects to help students grasp the concepts effectively.