1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A good textbook for Undergraduate learning Solid State Physics

1. Jun 9, 2012 #1
    I'm an undergraduate looking for a good low level textbook to read this summer in order to learn what I can about Solid State Physics. I have 2 semesters of Chemistry and quantum mechanics.

Any recommendations?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kittel, Intro to Solid State Physics. People say old editions are better written than the recent ones. In any case I liked the 3rd edition. You'll come across people who hate it (it seems to provoke an allergic reaction in a small fraction of the physics population), but IMO it's the best and most comprehensive intro SS book out there.

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3
    I will go with marcusl, Kittel is probably the best one you could get. About the editions, I only used the 8th edition (there's also a manual solution for that edition out there in the net *cough cough*).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook