Configurations for Non-Interacting Particles with Total Energy of 2E

• Thread starter tomwilliam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bosons
In summary, there are four possible configurations for distinguishable particles, with the two particles either both being in 1ER or both being in 1EL. For identical bosons, there are four possible configurations as well, with the two particles either both being in 1ER and then in 1ER, or both being in 1ER and then in 1EL. For identical fermions, there are two possible configurations, with the two particles either both being in 2E and 0, or both being in 1ER and 1EL. The Pauli exclusion principle does not apply in this situation since 1ER and 1EL are considered different states.
tomwilliam

Homework Statement

List all possible configurations for distinguishable particles, identical bosons and identical fermions where the system has a total energy of 2E and contains two non-interacting particles. The energy-level structure is 0, 1ER, 1EL and 2E (where 1ER and 1EL are degenerate).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the situation for distinguishable particles.
I think I know that bosons can be in the same quantum state, so that includes the possibility of the two particles both being in 1ER and then in 1ER (I make it four configurations in total).
What I don't know is whether the Pauli exclusion principle makes it impossible for the two fermions to be at the same energy level, if there are two degenerate levels with the same energy. Is it possible for them to be at a) 2E and 0, and b) 1ER and 1EL...or does the exclusion principle cancel that possibility?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The Pauli exclusion principle says that two fermions can't be in the same state at the same time. Since 1ER and 1EL are different states, the Pauli exclusion principle doesn't apply.

Thanks
So two fermions in the same system can have the same energy...providing they have a different quantum state?

Yup, like two electrons in the n=1 state of the hydrogen atom.

for your question. I can confirm that your understanding of the configurations for distinguishable particles and bosons is correct. However, for fermions, the Pauli exclusion principle does indeed prevent them from occupying the same energy level. This means that for two non-interacting fermions with a total energy of 2E, the only possible configurations are 1ER and 1EL (with one particle in each energy level) or 2E and 0 (with one particle in the 2E level and the other in the 0 level). This is because the exclusion principle states that no two fermions can have the same set of quantum numbers, including energy level. Therefore, the possibility of both fermions being in the 1ER level is excluded. I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Keep up the good work in your studies!

What are bosons?

Bosons are a type of elementary particle that have a spin of either 0, 1, or 2, and follow Bose-Einstein statistics. They can exist in a variety of forms, including photons, gluons, and the Higgs boson.

What is the behavior of bosons?

The behavior of bosons is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics, specifically Bose-Einstein statistics. This means that multiple bosons can occupy the same quantum state, leading to phenomena such as Bose-Einstein condensates.

What is the difference between bosons and fermions?

Bosons and fermions are two types of elementary particles, with the main difference being their spin. Bosons have integer spin, while fermions have half-integer spin. This leads to different behaviors and properties, such as the Pauli exclusion principle for fermions.

How are bosons important in the study of particle physics?

Bosons are crucial in the study of particle physics as they are responsible for the fundamental forces of nature. For example, photons are bosons that mediate the electromagnetic force, while gluons mediate the strong nuclear force.

What are some real-world applications of bosons?

Bosons have a variety of real-world applications, including in technology such as lasers and superconductors. They also play a role in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans.