Navigating Neighborly Etiquette: Saying Hi or Not?

• Thread starter HeLiXe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, if you see your neighbors outside talking and they stop when you come out of your car, you should say hello. If they don't say hello back, just keep walking. If they do say hello back, just make eye contact and say hello.
HeLiXe
I think I need some guidance with being polite. If my neighbors are outside talking and they get quiet as I come out of my car, does that mean I am supposed to say hi? Sometimes people get angry at me for not saying hello, and then sometimes they get angry when I say hello, so I don't know what to do anymore.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cultural differences, particularly if they hold some kind of prejudice :confused:

There are too many people like that ...

or other could be some kind of social phobia among them, there are also many people who are too private.

Yeah nowadays I just keep quiet unless someone says hello to me first.

HeLiXe said:
Yeah nowadays I just keep quiet unless someone says hello to me first.

That works.

HeLiXe said:
I think I need some guidance with being polite. If my neighbors are outside talking and they get quiet as I come out of my car, does that mean I am supposed to say hi? Sometimes people get angry at me for not saying hello, and then sometimes they get angry when I say hello, so I don't know what to do anymore.

I look people directly in the eye. If we make eye contact, I say hi. If not, I keep walking.

A bit rude of them to stop talking as you approach, IMO. But you never know, they might be talking about something really sensitive.

I believe she brought this up earlier in RT also. Her neighbors do seem bit awkward :uhh:

Thanks lisab. I didn't know if they were being rude or waiting for me to say hello lol.

rootX said:
I believe she brought this up earlier in RT also. Her neighbors do seem bit awkward :uhh:

Yeah I moved the end of last month, but they are still being weird about greetings here and they keep staring at me but not saying anything LOL. I said hello to some and they said hello back, but some others did not and then one even came in my backyard and looked at me but did not say anything. It's so weird.

I'm planning on getting a fence >_>

HeLiXe said:
Don't worry about it too much, its really not very important. I used to agonize over the same thing when I was younger, they sound just like ex neighbors of mine from years ago. Just say hello to the friendly ones and ignore the unfriendly ones, and you'll be fine.

Thanks so much Frankly :) Agonize is really the perfect verb to explain it lol.

1. How do I decide whether to say hi to my neighbor or not?

It is ultimately up to personal preference and comfort level. Consider your relationship with the neighbor and the context of the situation. If you are passing by on the street, a simple smile and nod may suffice. If you are in a shared space, such as a hallway or elevator, a friendly greeting may be appropriate.

2. Is it rude to ignore my neighbor when they say hi?

It is generally considered polite to acknowledge someone when they greet you. However, if you are in a rush or preoccupied, a brief smile or nod can still convey acknowledgement without engaging in a conversation.

3. What if my neighbor consistently ignores me when I say hi?

Everyone has different preferences and comfort levels, so try not to take it personally. It is possible that your neighbor is shy or just in a hurry. If you want to build a relationship with them, you could try initiating a conversation in a different setting.

4. How often should I say hi to my neighbor?

This depends on your relationship with your neighbor and the frequency of your interactions. If you see them daily, a simple hello each time is appropriate. If you only see them occasionally, a friendly greeting when you do see them is enough.

5. What if my neighbor and I have had a disagreement or conflict?

In this situation, it is important to be respectful and maintain civility. You can still greet your neighbor in a polite manner, but avoid engaging in a lengthy conversation if it may cause tension. If possible, try to resolve the conflict and move forward in a positive manner.