Bel is unit for what physical quantity?

In summary, the bel and decibel are units of measurement for sound intensity, with the decibel being more commonly used. They are used to describe the ratio between output and input values of a quantity, such as in sound or electrical circuits. The decibel is a logarithmic unit and is also commonly used in Control Theory to measure gain.
Jhenrique
If Newton is unit for measure force, meter is unit for measure length and radian is unit for measure angle, so, bel is unit for measure which physical(/mathematical) quantity?

Physics news on Phys.org
The belt is a unit of sound intensity. It is a large unit so we more often use the decibel.

It is not a unit as such. The deci-bel s just used to express relative logarithmic relationships (in base 10, hence deci).
The most common example is sound, (where it tells you the sound pressure relative to a standardized pressure, which if I remember correctly is something like 1 micropascal) but is also used for things like RF/microwave engineering or indeed any other field where we work with relative quantities that differ by orders of magnitude. One can for example talk about 10 dB attentuation of sound (or microwaves).

There are also some commonly used "proper" units which are "related" the the decibel: a good example is dBm which stands for decibel relative to 1 mW. This is used to express power in RF/microwave engineering.

f95toli said:
The most common example is sound, (where it tells you the sound pressure relative to a standardized pressure, which if I remember correctly is something like 1 micropascal)

The "standard" reference levels in acoustics are different for sounds in air and in other media, and also different for sound pressure level, sound intensity level, and sound power level :cry:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel#Suffixes_and_reference_values for even more standard levels for other applications

The bel (B) and the smaller decibel (dB) are units of measurement of sound intensity invented by Bell Labs and named after Alexander Graham Bell.
You can find more references in the Wikipedia article on him. This sounds like a homework question to me.

I never need to use dB or B for anything, but now, in Control Theory, the argument of the transfer function is the phase shift and the absolute is the gain and the gain is measured in dB. Gain and sound intensity are different concepts, I think, but they have the same unit, dB. Which is the difference and iguality concepctual between gain and sound intensity?

"Gain" is the ratio between output and input (or between final and initlal) values of some quantity. The decibel is a way of describing that gain in logarithmic terms: # of decibels = 10 * log (final/initial). As f95stoli wrote, it's commonly used for sound intensity (with the "initial" value being some standard value chosen by convention), but it's also used for things like the ratio between output and input power in an electrical circuit, or the sensitivity of an antenna, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

Jhenrique said:
I never need to use dB or B for anything, but now, in Control Theory, the argument of the transfer function is the phase shift and the absolute is the gain and the gain is measured in dB. Gain and sound intensity are different concepts, I think, but they have the same unit, dB. Which is the difference and iguality concepctual between gain and sound intensity?

For intensity the value of the field is squared -
so you get I = 10*Log10[ A^2/B^2] = 20*Log10[A/B]. This is in deciBels.

1. What is a Bel and what is it used for?

A Bel is a unit of measurement for the ratio between two quantities of the same physical quantity. It is commonly used in telecommunications to express the ratio of power levels.

2. Is Bel a SI unit?

No, Bel is not a SI (International System of Units) unit. Instead, it is a derived unit that is used alongside SI units.

3. How is Bel related to decibels?

Bel and decibels (dB) are related through a logarithmic scale. One Bel is equal to 10 decibels.

4. Can Bel be used to measure any physical quantity?

No, Bel can only be used to measure the ratio between two quantities of the same physical quantity. It cannot be used to measure other physical quantities such as length, mass, or time.

5. Why is the term "Bel" used, and who is it named after?

The term "Bel" is named after Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone. It was proposed in his honor by the Bell Telephone Company in the early 1920s.