Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Belated happy Dyngus Day!

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Did anybody here celebrate Dyngus Day, Polish-Americans' answer to the Irish St. Patrick's Day?

It looks like Buffalo is the "hometown" of this event in its modern form. I don't remember ever hearing about Dyngus Day while growing up not far from Cleveland and it's large Polish-American population. I learned about it this morning when NBC's "Today" show featured a clip of Anderson Cooper cracking up on the air while doing a story about the event.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2012 #2

Borek

To put things in perspective, it is hardly an "answer", as in Poland the custom is pretty old. It is clearly mentioned in documents from 1420, but it existed much earlier.

As you may guess his comments and reaction were not well received in some parts of the world.

Back to the question - yes, we celebrate. Usually just some sprinkling, but at the time Junior was young it was not that symbolic :biggrin:

4. Apr 12, 2012 #3

Evo

No Dyngus Day for me. No pussy willows to be seen.

5. Apr 12, 2012 #4

jtbell

It looks like he had better accept the invitation to serve as Pussy Willow Prince in Buffalo next year, in order to prevent a souring of international relations. :biggrin:

6. Apr 12, 2012 #5

turbo

Gold Member

We had pussy willows, but the ladies hereabouts might be a bit miffed about having water dumped on them and having their legs switched with the pussy willows. Not a lot of Poles in this area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook