Did you know about Dyngus Day before today?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses Dyngus Day, a Polish-American holiday that is considered the "answer" to St. Patrick's Day. The holiday, which has been celebrated in Poland since 1420, is now mainly celebrated in Buffalo, and was recently featured on the "Today" show. Some controversy arose when anchor Anderson Cooper made jokes about the holiday, causing some backlash from Polish communities. The conversation also mentions the traditions of sprinkling and switching legs with pussy willows, which are symbolic gestures during Dyngus Day celebrations.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Did anybody here celebrate Dyngus Day, Polish-Americans' answer to the Irish St. Patrick's Day?

It looks like Buffalo is the "hometown" of this event in its modern form. I don't remember ever hearing about Dyngus Day while growing up not far from Cleveland and it's large Polish-American population. I learned about it this morning when NBC's "Today" show featured a clip of Anderson Cooper cracking up on the air while doing a story about the event.

Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
Did anybody here celebrate Dyngus Day, Polish-Americans' answer to the Irish St. Patrick's Day?

To put things in perspective, it is hardly an "answer", as in Poland the custom is pretty old. It is clearly mentioned in documents from 1420, but it existed much earlier.

I learned about it this morning when NBC's "Today" show featured a clip of Anderson Cooper cracking up on the air while doing a story about the event.

As you may guess his comments and reaction were not well received in some parts of the world.

Back to the question - yes, we celebrate. Usually just some sprinkling, but at the time Junior was young it was not that symbolic :biggrin:

No Dyngus Day for me. No kitty willows to be seen.

Borek said:
As you may guess [Anderson Cooper's] comments and reaction were not well received in some parts of the world.

It looks like he had better accept the invitation to serve as kitty Willow Prince in Buffalo next year, in order to prevent a souring of international relations. :biggrin:

Evo said:
No Dyngus Day for me. No kitty willows to be seen.
We had kitty willows, but the ladies hereabouts might be a bit miffed about having water dumped on them and having their legs switched with the kitty willows. Not a lot of Poles in this area.

1. What is Dyngus Day?

Dyngus Day is a Polish-American holiday celebrated on the Monday after Easter. It is also known as "Water Monday" or "Smigus-Dyngus".

2. Why is it called "Belated happy Dyngus Day"?

Since Dyngus Day falls on the Monday after Easter, it is often referred to as "belated" because it is celebrated after the actual Easter holiday.

3. How do people celebrate Dyngus Day?

Traditionally, Dyngus Day is celebrated with water fights and playful flirting between boys and girls. It is also a day to enjoy Polish food and music, as well as participating in parades and other cultural events.

4. Is Dyngus Day only celebrated in Poland and the United States?

No, Dyngus Day is also celebrated in other countries with large Polish communities, such as Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom.

5. What is the significance of water on Dyngus Day?

The use of water on Dyngus Day is a symbol of purification and cleansing. It is also said to bring good luck and fertility for the upcoming year.