Belousov-Zhabotinsky oscillating reaction

In summary, the conversation is about a physics student attempting to perform the Belousov experiment using specific reactants, but not seeing any oscillations. There are suggestions to adjust the concentrations of the malonic acid and ceric sulfate, and to use ceric ammonium nitrate instead. The student is also advised to continuously stir the solution for at least a minute to see a color change, and to consider using a magnetic stirrer.
Feynmanfan
Here's a physics student trying to perform the Belousov experiment, that is the chemical clock that changes its color from red to blue and viceversa.

I've been able to "borrow" the following reactants:

H2S04(sulfuric acid) 1,5M
NaBr03(sodium bromate) 0.08M
CH2(COOH)2(malonic acid) 0.002M
Ce(SO4)2 0.1M
ferroin 0.0003.M

I've tried mixing them but I've seen no oscillations. The original recipe says that Ce2(SO4)3 should be used (Ce3+//Ce4+ is what oscillates). What do you suggest I should do? In what order do I mix the reactants? Is this a bad recipe?
Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. I think your malonic acid is too dilute. I recommend 0.2 to 0.3M acid.

2. The order of mixing should not matter.

3. I think your Ce(SO4)2 is too concentrated. I would use something like 0.002M Ce(4+) solution. Or did you just switch the concentrations of the acid and ceric sulfate when you typed it here ?

4. If switching the concentrations doesn't help (or you just mistyped it here), you could try ceric ammonium nitrate instead of ceric sulfate.

5. What color do you see when you prepare the solution ?

6. The typical period of oscillations for the specified concentrations is of order a minute. So, you need to have the solution be stirred continuously for at least that long to see a color change. A better idea (once you have a working solution, at least) is to use a magnetic stirrer.

I would suggest that you follow the original recipe for the Belousov-Zhabotinsky oscillating reaction. The use of Ce2(SO4)3 as the catalyst is crucial for the oscillations to occur. The presence of Ce3+ and Ce4+ ions is what drives the oscillations.

In terms of the reactant order, it is important to mix the reactants in a specific order to achieve the desired oscillations. Typically, the reactants are mixed in the following order: malonic acid, sulfuric acid, sodium bromate, and then the catalyst (Ce2(SO4)3). It is important to note that the concentrations of each reactant should also be carefully controlled to ensure the proper oscillations.

It is possible that the recipe you have is not a reliable one for the Belousov-Zhabotinsky reaction. I would recommend consulting with other scientists who have experience with this reaction or referring to established literature on the subject for a more reliable recipe.

Overall, it is important to carefully follow the instructions and use the correct reactants in order to successfully perform the Belousov-Zhabotinsky oscillating reaction. I wish you the best of luck in your experiments.

1. What is the Belousov-Zhabotinsky oscillating reaction?

The Belousov-Zhabotinsky (BZ) oscillating reaction is a chemical reaction that exhibits periodic changes in color over time. It was first discovered in the 1950s by Boris Belousov, and later studied by Anatol Zhabotinsky. This reaction is characterized by the formation of spiral or concentric ring patterns, similar to those seen in a target.

2. What are the key components of the BZ oscillating reaction?

The BZ oscillating reaction involves the oxidation of organic compounds, such as malonic acid or citric acid, by an oxidizing agent such as bromate ions. This reaction also requires a catalyst, typically a metal ion such as ferroin, and a reducing agent such as cerium ions. The addition of a bromide ion source and an acid are also necessary for the reaction to occur.

3. How does the BZ oscillating reaction produce its characteristic oscillations?

The oscillations in the BZ reaction are a result of a chemical feedback loop known as the Brusselator mechanism. This mechanism involves a series of reactions that produce intermediate compounds, which then react with each other to form a product that can be converted back into the reactants, thus repeating the cycle and producing the oscillations.

4. What are the applications of the BZ oscillating reaction?

The BZ oscillating reaction has been studied extensively in the field of chemical kinetics and reaction dynamics. It has also been used as a model system for studying self-organization and pattern formation in chemical systems. Additionally, the BZ reaction has potential applications in creating artificial cells and designing chemical sensors.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the BZ oscillating reaction?

Yes, the BZ oscillating reaction has been observed in various natural systems, such as the periodic color changes seen in some marine organisms and the pulsating behavior of certain types of neurons. In addition, the BZ reaction has been used to create art pieces and demonstrations, such as the famous "Belousov-Zhabotinsky chemical garden" experiment.