1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bending and shear stresses

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution

I wasn't 100% sure whether this should be here or in the Engineering section, hopefully I've got it right. Anyway, I'm fairly unfamiliar with this type of problem and basically I'm just looking for an equation that will relate the permissible load to the tension and compression (part a) and an equation relating this permissible load to shear stress (part b). I've had a look through my notes and found nothing thus far.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This belongs in the engineering section, but anyway, you first have to calculate the neutral axis and moment of inertia of the T beam. Then see which stress (compression or tension) controls the max bending moment, and back solve for P based on that moment. Please show your attempt at calculating some of these values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?