Bending moment and stress of a washer shape

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the bending moment and stress in a washer shape for a project. The suggested solution is to split the washer into small wedges and approximate it as a solid rectangular cantilever beam. An equation for the maximum stress in a washer shape is also provided, taking into account factors such as Poisson ratio, inside and outside radius, thickness, and applied force.
ehilge

Homework Statement

I need to find the bending moment of a washer shape for a project I'm working on so I don't have an exact problem statement. Imagine that a washer was fixed (not pinned) around its inner radius and a force were applied evenly around the outer radius. How can I go about finding the max bending moment? After I find the max bending moment, what exactly do I take the moment of inertia of to find stress?

Homework Equations

stress = M*y/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I am familiar with how to find the stress in beams with moment diagrams and all that. My only thought on this would be to split the washer into small wedges and approximate the shape as a solid rectangular cantilever beam. I could then solve the problem normally. I realize that this won't give me an exact answer but will it even be close? Is anyone aware of an equation for the maximum stress in a washer shape?

Physics news on Phys.org
C8 = 0.5[1 + nu + (1 - nu)(r1/r2)^2],
C9 = (r1/r2){0.5(1 + nu)*ln(r2/r1) + 0.25(1 - nu)[1 - (r1/r2)^2]},
M = (C9/C8)*w*(r2^2)/r1,
sigma = 6*M/(t^2),

where nu = Poisson ratio, r1 = inside radius, r2 = outside radius, t = washer thickness, sigma = maximum bending stress, and w = transverse applied force per unit of circumferential length, applied all along outside perimeter.

Last edited:
Thank you, that will be incredibly helpful

1. What is a bending moment and how does it affect a washer shape?

A bending moment is a measure of the amount of force applied to a specific point on a structure. In the case of a washer shape, the bending moment is the force applied to the washer that causes it to bend or deform. This can lead to stress and potential failure if the bending moment is too great.

2. How is bending moment calculated for a washer shape?

The bending moment of a washer shape can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the washer by the distance from the point of application to the center of the washer. This is known as the moment arm and is measured in units of force times distance (e.g. N-m or lb-ft).

3. What factors can affect the bending moment and stress of a washer shape?

The bending moment and stress of a washer shape can be affected by various factors including the amount and direction of the force applied, the size and shape of the washer, and the material properties of the washer. Other factors such as temperature and environmental conditions can also play a role in the bending moment and stress of a washer shape.

4. How does the stress of a washer shape relate to its bending moment?

The stress of a washer shape is directly related to its bending moment. As the bending moment increases, so does the stress on the washer. This stress can cause deformation or failure of the washer if it exceeds the material's strength. Therefore, it is important to consider both the bending moment and stress when designing a washer shape to ensure it can withstand the applied forces.

5. How can the bending moment and stress of a washer shape be reduced?

The bending moment and stress of a washer shape can be reduced by increasing the size or thickness of the washer, using a stronger material, or redistributing the applied force. Additionally, adding supports or reinforcement can help distribute the bending moment and reduce stress on specific points of the washer shape.