Shape of bending moment diagram

In summary, The conversation is about drawing a bending moment diagram and shear force diagram for a given question. The person has attempted a solution but is not confident about it. Another person points out an error in the shear diagram which affects the moment diagram. They also mention that the moment diagram should not be mirrored like last time. The conversation ends with the request to check the diagram again.
chetzread

Homework Statement

in this question , I'm asked to draw the bending moment diagram and shear force diagram

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have the ans for this question , can somoene check thruough my shape of graph . I'm not confident with it . [/B]

Attachments

• IMG_20161020_064556.jpg
    IMG_20161020_064556.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_20161020_064614.jpg
    IMG_20161020_064614.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 349
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh so close,,,,but between B and the right end, the shear diagram is wrong,,,you have a distributed load there so the shear line is not horizontal. Your moment diagram them gets messed up between B and the end because of that shear error. And by convention, moment diagram is not mirrored like last time , this is a good thing

Likes chetzread
PhanthomJay said:
Oh so close,,,,but between B and the right end, the shear diagram is wrong,,,you have a distributed load there so the shear line is not horizontal. Your moment diagram them gets messed up between B and the end because of that shear error. And by convention, moment diagram is not mirrored like last time , this is a good thing
should the diagram look like this ?

Attachments

• IMG_20161020_091041.jpg
    IMG_20161020_091041.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 359
I think you attached the wrong image I don't know what you did. It was almost perfect the first tine

1. What is a bending moment diagram?

A bending moment diagram is a graphical representation of the variation of bending moment along the length of a beam. It is used to visualize the internal forces acting on a beam and can help determine the maximum bending moment and shear force at any point along the beam.

2. How is a bending moment diagram constructed?

To construct a bending moment diagram, you first need to determine the support reactions and any point loads or distributed loads acting on the beam. Then, you can calculate the bending moment at various points along the beam using the equations of static equilibrium. These values can be plotted on a graph with the length of the beam on the x-axis and the bending moment on the y-axis.

3. What does the shape of a bending moment diagram tell us?

The shape of a bending moment diagram tells us about the internal forces and moments acting on a beam. The magnitude and direction of the bending moment at a particular point can be determined by looking at the slope of the diagram at that point. A positive slope indicates a positive bending moment (tension on the bottom of the beam), while a negative slope indicates a negative bending moment (compression on the bottom of the beam).

4. What are some common types of bending moment diagrams?

Some common types of bending moment diagrams include simply supported beams, fixed beams, cantilever beams, and beams with overhangs. Each type has a unique shape and can be analyzed using different methods. For example, simply supported beams have a triangular shape, while fixed beams have a rectangular shape with a sharp change in slope at the point of support.

5. How do bending moment diagrams relate to beam design?

Bending moment diagrams are an essential tool in the design of beams and other structures. They help engineers determine the maximum bending moment and shear force that a beam can withstand, which is crucial in selecting the appropriate type and size of beam for a given application. Additionally, the shape of a bending moment diagram can give insight into potential weak points in a structure, allowing for the optimization of design and material usage.