1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bending Moment in two directions

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    Not Really a homework question but it will help with how i go about the homework.

So i have a beam coming out of the wall and it has force acting on it like this:
    Woops, that 20 on the side view should be a 10 :P
    Untitled-1-4.png
    What i want to find is the total moment at the mid point. I know how to find the moment in each direction but im not sure if im aloud to add them together or use pythag??
    heres my solution for each direction:
    Untitled-2-1.png
    Can i just go sqrt(10^2+10^2) to give me 10?
    Thanks
    Shaun

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Shaun, welcome to PF!
    Moments are vectors and as such, have both magnitude and direction. So aside from the fact that sqrt(10^2+10^2) = 10(sq root 2) :wink:, its magnitude, there is a direction associated with the moment also (what is it?). Sometimes it is best to leave the moment in its component form....M = Mx + My.

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3
    thanks heaps mate, probably shouldnt be doing engineering if i cant use pythag properly :tongue:
    really appreciate ur help

5. Sep 14, 2011 #4
    In your M diagrams, the horizontal one shows an assumed hinge at the wall, whereas the vertical one assumes moment-fixity. This may not affect your answer to the moment at midpoint of the beam.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook