Bending Moment in two directions

In summary, the conversation discusses a beam with a force acting on it and the speaker is trying to find the total moment at the midpoint. They are unsure if they can add the moments from each direction or use Pythagorean theorem. The conversation also mentions vectors and the direction associated with moments, and the possibility of leaving the moment in its component form. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the other person for their help.
shauntur
Not Really a homework question but it will help with how i go about the homework.

So i have a beam coming out of the wall and it has force acting on it like this:
Woops, that 20 on the side view should be a 10 :P
Untitled-1-4.png

What i want to find is the total moment at the mid point. I know how to find the moment in each direction but I am not sure if I am aloud to add them together or use pythag??
heres my solution for each direction:
Untitled-2-1.png

Can i just go sqrt(10^2+10^2) to give me 10?
Thanks
Shaun

Physics news on Phys.org
shauntur said:
Can i just go sqrt(10^2+10^2) to give me 10?
Thanks
Shaun
Hi Shaun, welcome to PF!
Moments are vectors and as such, have both magnitude and direction. So aside from the fact that sqrt(10^2+10^2) = 10(sq root 2) :wink:, its magnitude, there is a direction associated with the moment also (what is it?). Sometimes it is best to leave the moment in its component form...M = Mx + My.

thanks heaps mate, probably shouldn't be doing engineering if i can't use pythag properly :tongue:
really appreciate ur help

In your M diagrams, the horizontal one shows an assumed hinge at the wall, whereas the vertical one assumes moment-fixity. This may not affect your answer to the moment at midpoint of the beam.

I would first clarify that the concept of bending moment is a measure of the internal forces within a beam or structure that cause it to bend or deform. It is typically represented by the symbol M and is measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as Nm or ft-lb.

In this scenario, it appears that the beam is being subjected to a force of 10 units in one direction and another force of 10 units in a perpendicular direction. To find the total bending moment at the mid point, we must consider the moments in both directions.

To answer your question, yes, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the total moment at the mid point. This is because the bending moments in each direction act perpendicular to each other, making them independent of each other. Therefore, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the total moment at the mid point, which would be √(10^2+10^2) = 14.14 units.

However, if the forces were not acting perpendicular to each other, we would need to use vector addition to find the resultant moment at the mid point. This involves breaking down the forces into their components and then adding them together using vector addition principles.

In summary, to find the total bending moment at the mid point, you can use the Pythagorean theorem if the forces are acting perpendicular to each other, but if they are not, you would need to use vector addition. It is important to always consider the direction and magnitude of the forces when calculating bending moments in a structure.

1. What is bending moment in two directions?

Bending moment in two directions is a measure of the internal forces acting on a structure or object that can cause it to bend or twist in two directions. It is typically represented as a combination of two bending moments, one in the horizontal direction and one in the vertical direction.

2. How is bending moment in two directions calculated?

Bending moment in two directions is calculated by taking the product of the force applied to the structure and the distance from the point of application to the point of interest. This calculation is done separately for both the horizontal and vertical directions and then the two bending moments are combined to get the total bending moment in two directions.

3. What factors affect the bending moment in two directions?

The bending moment in two directions is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the shape and size of the structure, and the material properties of the structure. Additionally, any support or constraints on the structure can also affect the bending moment.

4. Why is understanding bending moment in two directions important?

Understanding bending moment in two directions is crucial for designing and analyzing structures to ensure they can withstand the forces acting on them. It is also important for predicting potential failure points and making necessary adjustments to ensure the structural integrity and safety of the object.

5. How is bending moment in two directions used in real-world applications?

Bending moment in two directions is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including building and bridge design, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering. It is also important in fields such as biomechanics and material science for understanding the stresses and strains on various structures and materials.